Nobes
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Employer additional super

Hi,

We pay an extra 1% employer super to a few of our employee's.

Recently one of the employee's extra under calculates. Was working in May, then not calculating correctly in June.

The payroll category seems to be setup right. I'm thinking there is a bug in our file?

super.jpg
3 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Stuart_W
810 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Stuart_W
MYOB Moderator

810Posts

139Kudos

122Solutions

Re: Employer additional super

Hi @Nobes

Thank you very much for posting on the MYOB Community Forum.

Can I ask by how much is the super being under-calculated? Also can you pinpoint the month it started? For testing purposes can I please ask you to do the following:

• Find the month where it started to occur - bring up the pay history for this month (Card File->Payroll Details->Pay History->Set Pay History For.....). Can you take a screenshot of this and post here (or send me a private message if you wish to preserve confidentiality).
  • Open the Superannuation Information window, click the Exempt button, double check that there are no exemptions here that should not be.

Basically how super calculates in MYOB: the amount in the payslip being processed will be checked against the month to date amounts (in the pay history) for each payroll category factored into the calculation, and top up or reduce the super amount according to whether the pay history values are above/below/equal the calculation rate. Most super calculation issues come from here, where the pay history will be more or less than the super calculated amount and thus the amount on the payslips will be more or less to ensure the month to date super calculation is correct.

Please do let me know how you go.

Kind Regards,

Stuart W
MYOB Client Support
Contributing Cover User Nobes
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Nobes
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi,

Much appreciated. Your steps have lead me to what I think is going on.

The issue presented itself in July. The monthly history was the right pecentage however. What I had done, was manually increased the employer additional for one pay period. It looks like MYOB looks at the payroll (or at least the super) in a month by month basis, even though we pay on a fortnightly basis. So by increasing the first payroll emplyer additional super, the next pay run came around and the software auto calculates the 1% on the month, not the actual pay run being processed.

Would that be correct? To test my theory, I just ran a dummy payroll (1st for the month) and it calculated the additional correctly.

MYOB Moderator Stuart_W
810 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Stuart_W
MYOB Moderator

810Posts

139Kudos

122Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Hi @Nobes

Yes that's probably what's happening. MYOB does indeed calculate super on a month by month basis, and will look to the pay history to validate whether the percentage has been calculated correctly, and adjust payrolls accordingly. So if you had paid a bit extra in a previous payrun for the month, the next payrun in the same month will calculate the super at a reduced amount to make sure the super amount for the (payrun+history) equals the correctly calculated percentage for the entire month. After each month this is reset back to the original which is why your dummy payrun in a brand new payrun calculated the correct percentage. Our help note on Checking and adjusting superannuation goes into this if you'd like to have a look.

Hope this makes sense and please do let me know if you need any further clarification at all.

Kind Regards,

Stuart W
MYOB Client Support
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post