How can I transfer a Wage or other cost from one category to another?

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
TheRob
Experienced User
42 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

42Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

How can I transfer a Wage or other cost from one category to another?

Our business has two divisions so transactions are split by Categories. Allocating wages to a category has been relatively straightforward as there has been no crossover of staff from one Category to another. However we have now had to change, and so one employee is working occasional days in another division (Category). In addition our General Manager, whose Salary has always been allocated to one category now needs to charge some of his time to the other Category. How can I transfer? If I raise a journal, both sides of the transaction are allocated to the same category. Do I need to journal the amount to a "suspense" account and then journal them back to another category?

2 REPLIES 2
IanChait
Ultimate Partner
1,443 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,443Posts

277Kudos

231Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: How can I transfer a Wage or other cost from one category to another?

Hi @TheRob 

YOu can only select 1 category per transaction. So you would need to use a Balance Sheet Suspense account. However, you should consider using Jobs instead, as then you can have multiple jobs per transaction.

Regards
Ian Chait CA
Certified Consultant Melbourne
P/M 0417 479 585
Email ian@myfc.com.au

TheRob
Experienced User
42 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

42Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

Re: How can I transfer a Wage or other cost from one category to another?

Thanks Ian. I thought that may be the situation but was hoping not. I use Jobs to track certain jobs and items of equiment so Categories are necessary in this instance. I will use the suspense account option

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post