Paid Parental Leave - how to enter amount

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
JulieM09
Trusted Cover User
91 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

91Posts

14Kudos

6Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Paid Parental Leave - how to enter amount

One of our employees commenced paid parental leave last Thursday, after payroll had been finalised.

Question - to pay her PPL, do we make the PPL salary and manually enter the amount of $740.60 each week against the PPL line?  Or do I convert the PPL to an hourly rate and go from there?

As she had the baby after payroll was run, technically she is not entitled to the paid public holidays nor the sick day we allocated to her on the Thursday. So I need to adjust for them as well, but only if I can start with the base PPL pay of $740.60.

She is paid hourly.

5 REPLIES 5
JulieM09
Trusted Cover User
91 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

91Posts

14Kudos

6Solutions

Re: Paid Parental Leave - how to enter amount

I changed the default for PPL to the hourly rate for PPL. This will enable me to deduct the overpayments she had received, at her existing higher salary.

The MYOB instructions for PPL have it that PPL is a salary.  But there is no-where to set the actual PPL amount of $740.60 except to manually enter it when you do a pay.  Having this at salary then ignores any hourly fields (in this case, the overpayment of sick and public holiday pays) and so doesn't deduct the correct tax.

So very confusing.

It appears that I may be able to change to the salary setting for PPL from the following pay week (I guess this will prevent the leave from accruing) but I still have to manually enter that amount.

I will have to do similar for JobKeeper by the looks of things, if PPL is anything to go by.

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @JulieM09 

Thanks for your post. You can add the amount of PPL to be paid each pay period into the employee's standard pay. Go to the employee card>>Payroll Details tab>>Standard Pay, change all wage categories to zero and enter the PPL amount against that wage category. When you process a payrun that amount will be prefilled in the Pay Employee window.

If you have selected Salary you can exempt entitlements from accruing by going to the employee card>>Payroll Details tab>>entitlements and unticking the applicable entitlements.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

JulieM09
Trusted Cover User
91 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

91Posts

14Kudos

6Solutions

Thansk @Tracey_H 

Unfortunately, I have already run payroll and now am in a dilemma - as I ran the pay with the PPL as hourly rate, I can't now change it to salary as that will delete the PPL payment made today.

I also had to dedeuct the 2 public holidays and swap the sick leave for a PPL day, so her pay is thus:

6 days at PPL

less 2 days PH

less 1 day sick leave

our payroll is weekly

How best to resolve this? Should I delete the payrun made to her today, amend as you suggest above, then re-run her pay??

actually, the more I think about this, the silllier it is to have it set to salary - as the person is not paid for public holidays, how do you reduce the weekly (5 days pay) to only 4 days, to accommodate the one day that is a public holiday? E.G. we will have a public holiday on Monday 5 May for Labor day, how do you deduct that from the set PPL figure?  I tried to do that in the aforementioned payroll but it refused to deduct the PH and sick leav from the PPL when the PPL was set to salary, hence I had to change it to hourly rate.

JulieM09
Trusted Cover User
91 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

91Posts

14Kudos

6Solutions

After much to-ing and fro-ing changing categories, unticking, re-ticking, running mock payroll over and over again, etc etc - I left my PPL as hourly. MYOB is not capable of deducting an amount based on a hourly category from a salary category so the only way we could effectively capture the deductions for sick leave and Public holiday was to leave the PPL as hourly.

I do note that Services Australia advise that the advice slip they send to the business will have the calculation based on an hourly rate x 38 hours so I feel vindicated in my decision Smiley Happy

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @JulieM09 

I'm glad to hear you've been able to resolve your issue. I just wanted to clarify that changing the Pay Basis from Hourly to Salary won't delete or affect previous pays, it will only affect pays going forward.

Please don't hesitate to post again if you need further help.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post