Payroll Summary does not balance with Payroll Activity

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Webb1
Experienced Cover User
74 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

74Posts

6Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Payroll Summary does not balance with Payroll Activity

Hi

I have just been reading a couple of the past posts but didn't really get a definitive answer on to whether to manually adjust the payroll history or not.

Our Payroll Activity & Payroll Summary do not balance and this is because of 1 person who was permanent with us terminated then came back as a casual.  We used the same card (not a good idea) so when he came back as a casual the payroll officer unticked any entitlements.  This employee was paid sick leave and annual leave prior to leaving as a permanent.  Since the entilements were deleted when he came back it also deleted that he had been paid for these for this year.  Giving his entitlements back has not fixed the problem.

What I need to know is can I manually adjust these in history or should I just leave the difference there and note it on reports.  I have been using STP all year will this affect the report.

Thanks

Lisa

5 REPLIES 5
bungy15
Ultimate Cover User
1,055 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

1,055Posts

335Kudos

195Solutions

Re: Payroll Summary does not balance with Payroll Activity

Hi @Webb1 

It is recommended that you don’t manually adjust an employee’s card as GL accounts will not be updated. It’s also a good idea to use the same card as you are then only reporting that employee once to the ATO.

When the termination pay was processed and all unused entitlements were paid, his entitlement balance should have reset to zero. Changing his employment basis to casual, entering a new start date, deleting termination date and updating other  payroll information would not delete previously recorded pays. 

When the activity and summary report don’t balance it’s usually because an adjustment has been made in the employee’s card.

Check your STP reports through the Payroll Reporting Centre to see if his correct figures have been reported.

Cheers

Tracey

Webb1
Experienced Cover User
74 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

74Posts

6Kudos

1Solutions

Hi Tracey, The problem is that he wasn't terminated or should I say a termination date wasn't put in when he first terminated, then when he returned a new start date was not put in but his orginal old start date was kept.  I wouldn't have thought it would have affected it this way but it has.  1 pay he had personal leave and a public holiday paid. This is what is not showing up and it is not in his history either.  Doesn't seem to fix the problem if I put him back in as fulltime and give him back his entitlements nothing changes.  He doesn't work for us any longer.  Also I have checked in the Payroll reporting centre and the wrong amount is in there as well.  It is his total less these 2 days.  As he is no longer with us will it really matter if I change his history to reflect these 2 days and get the report correct.

Thanks

Lisa

bungy15
Ultimate Cover User
1,055 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

1,055Posts

335Kudos

195Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @Webb1 

If you run the General Ledger report for the wages expense account does it reconcile with the Payroll Activity Report? Do the totals in these two reports include the missing days? If so I think someone has already changed his pay history in his card and removed those payments. I’m assuming that you can still see that payroll transaction. 

If you are absolutely sure that the payroll activity and general ledger reports are correct, try adding those amounts back into his pay history.  I’d do a backup and print his pay history screen or use the snipping tool to get a screenshot prior to making any changes so that if it doesn’t work you can change it back.

Let me know how you go

Tracey

Webb1
Experienced Cover User
74 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

74Posts

6Kudos

1Solutions

Hi Tracey

Just wanted to say that it works now that I have updated the history.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Lisa

bungy15
Ultimate Cover User
1,055 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

1,055Posts

335Kudos

195Solutions