Payroll Tax - Payroll Category Missing

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
CC4
1 Post
User
User

1Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Payroll Tax - Payroll Category Missing

Good Afternoon,

I was in the process of setting up the Payroll Tax Information section of MYOB AccountRight and it asks to select all the payroll categories to be included as Taxable Wages.

I noticed that a Payroll Category is missing from this list and I'm not sure why.

The Payroll Category missing from the list is a Superannuation Type Category and it is called "Employee Additional" which is not reportable.

However, this Payroll Category is showing in the Payroll Category List and has been setup for an Employee's After Tax Super Contribution.

The Payroll Tax Report in MYOB is including Employee After Tax Super as assessable for payroll tax. However, Employee After Tax Super is exempt from Payroll Tax so I need to find a way to ensure that this report deducts it.

3 REPLIES 3
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Payroll Tax - Payroll Category Missing

HI @CC4 

I understand that you are based in Victoria. From what I can see of the Victoria State Government website it defines:

What are wages?

Wages are defined under the Payroll Tax Act 2007 (the Act) and include:

Exempt wages

Some wages are exempt from payroll tax. These include:

• Primary and secondary caregiver leave (formerly adoption and maternity parental leave).
  • Commonwealth paid parental leave scheme.
  • Contributions to redundancy benefit schemes.
  • Wages paid to employees absent from work to volunteer as firefighters or respond to other emergencies.
  • Wages paid to a person while on military leave as a member of the Defence Forces. 
  • Bone fide redundancy or early retirement payments.
  • Wages paid from non-profit group training organisations - from 1 July 2018, this also includes for-profit group training organisations.

From my reading of that, it does indicate that wages are included, however, there is no documentation that I have been able to find that employee additional superannuation payments, which are an after-tax deduction, are not designed to be included.

My recommendation would be to consult the Victoria State Government to indicate that and reference the website where that is listed. Once we have that information we can go back to the required team for further investigation. However, based on what I can see the software is doing the appropriate values are including those wages amount in that Report.

Should you wish to not include those values it would be a manual process of reducing the Wages/Salaries amount by that amount to give you the new defined Wages/Salaries which can be used in the rest of the calculation manually.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

fgropper
1 Post
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi there, just got cut off the phone with the same question Tax Payroll dont get it whats going on????

Upgrated to the just new version as well. and my tax table version is still in version 20

please help

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @fgropper 

Sorry to hear that you have had that experience with our phone-based team.

Payroll tax does depend on which State you are in. If you are unsure what payroll categories are suppose to be included in the calculation for payroll tax I would recommend reviewing your State's information on that topic.

In the case of the earlier post on the thread, there didn't seem to be any documentation to indicate that salary sacrifice amounts to be included according to that particular State and circumstances.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post