Reporting a Payroll if entered without STP

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Mathilda
Trusted User
102 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

102Posts

19Kudos

6Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Reporting a Payroll if entered without STP

Good afternoon - I have just taken over the payroll for a company that used another program.  I wanted all the wages on MYOB from 1 July for the tax year but the first 5 weeks was done already and reported through their program (Quickbooks).  I have entered from his payslips all the previous weeks (and carried over entitlement balances) so that the figures for the new tax year will be on my MYOB.  The first (and latest) payroll that I processed was done before I activated STP (I slipped up Smiley Sad ).  Can I still report this last payroll and how do I go about it as obviously it is not appearing in the Payroll Reporting Centre.

4 REPLIES 4
Emily_B
1,327 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,327Posts

0Kudos

170Solutions

Re: Reporting a Payroll if entered without STP

Hello @Mathilda 

First, can I confirm if the company was using STP through Quickbooks for those first five weeks? If so, this would mean that the company is already registered under one Business Management Software Identifier (BMSID) with the ATO, and when you start STP through MYOB, the company will have a second BMSID. This is fine, because at the end of the year the ATO will combine the data from all BMSIDs for the same business. But, the key in getting things set up with MYOB would be to avoid having duplicated information under two BMSIDs.

I apologise if you already knew the above, but it is worth mentioning just in case you weren't aware. You did mention you have entered the 5 weeks of pays into MYOB but I just wanted to ensure that those 5 weeks have been voided in the old software and reported to the ATO, to avoid any duplications at the end of the year.

As for that first pay you have done in MYOB without setting up STP yet, now that you do have STP set up in MYOB, it will recognise to pull all previous pay data through for YTD totals when you process your first STP pay. That first pay will get reported with your next payrun. If you don't want to wait until the next pay for this to happen or you want to just check that everything will update, you can process a $0 pay (follow the steps outlined here for AccountRight) which will act as a forced update. The employee YTD totals should update accordingly. A few articles which may be useful for setting up MYOB with prior data: Importing data, Enter historical information, and Setting up STP.

Kind regards,
Emily

MYOB Community Support

Mathilda
Trusted User
102 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

102Posts

19Kudos

6Solutions

@Emily_B thank you for the reply.  Since I have asked the question I have voided the last payroll that I entered on MYOB and re-entered it, and that took me through STP where I was able to report it.  Regarding the first 5 weeks entered on Quickbooks - do you suggest we void those even though it was reported already?  I haven't reported those wages on MYOB, only the last one that I did.  So if the ATO combines the data it will have the first 5 weeks from Quickbooks and the last week from MYOB. 

Sorry, hope I'm not talking in circles here.

Emily_B
1,327 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,327Posts

0Kudos

170Solutions

Hello @Mathilda 

Great to hear the pay in question has now gone through STP. I may have misread your initial post though, as I thought you had entered those five weeks into MYOB with intent to have them pulled into STP reporting.

Ultimately whether you leave them in Quickbooks or not is up to you, it's just important to note whether or not they were reported through STP with Quickbooks. If they were done through STP in Quickbooks and you leave them there and do not enter them in MYOB, there should be no issues as the ATO "will have the first 5 weeks from Quickbooks and the last week from MYOB." That would be correct.

But if you would prefer to have everything in one place and process those 5 pays through MYOB STP, you would just want to ensure the pays in Quickbooks are voided according to the ATO. That way when the ATO looks at the BMSIDs for this company, they don't take into account five weeks of pay reported under two BMSIDs. I suppose it's just a preference of bookkeping but as I understand it, the key is just to make sure the data is not duplicated.

Kind regards,
Emily

MYOB Community Support

Mathilda
Trusted User
102 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

102Posts

19Kudos

6Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

@Emily_B thank you very much for helping with this.  Will mark it as a solution.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post