Reversing Overpaid Superannuation

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

461Posts

220Kudos

4Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Reversing Overpaid Superannuation

Hi,

We have overpaid superannuation for an employee over several months. I have made an adjusting VOID pay entry to reduce the super payable, manually doing this at the end of a month to avoid impacting the next month's $450 calculation.

The super fund has now refunded the overpayment but I'm struggling to work out how to process the transactions.

This reverse and reprocess procedure doesn't really apply because I don't need to reprocess the payment: https://help.myob.com/wiki/display/ar/Reversing+and+reprocessing+superannuation+payments

I'm not sure this one really applies either: https://community.myob.com/t5/AccountRight-Staffing-and/Reversing-payroll-after-using-Pay-Superannua... because it says "If you are not getting a refund from the Super Fund, there is no need to process this negative payment for now."

We did get a refund so I need to process the negative payment.

I thought it might be as easy as recording a Pay Super entry with only the negative transaction selected, and not authorising it. However, trying to do that I get a little red X on the screen but no more information if I hover over it. 

The Pay Liabilities screen also doesn't allow me to process a negative payment.

How do I clear out the negative super transaction to match to the refund received from the super fund?

Thank you in anticipation. Smiley Happy

4 REPLIES 4
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Reversing Overpaid Superannuation

Hi @H-TS 

Thanks for your post. To record this in AccountRight you will need to follow these steps:

Say you processed a super payment of $1000 but it should have been $750 so you've been refunded $250:

1. process a reversal of the pay super (-$1000 to the bank account)
  2. process the payroll adjustment (-$250 into that period paid)
  3. process a Pay Liabilities which will include that -$250, giving you a total of $750
  4. you will then have -$250 in the bank account to match to the refund

These help articles will guide you through this process:

Checking and adjusting super 

Reversing and reprocessing super payments 

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

461Posts

220Kudos

4Solutions

Thanks @Tracey_H 

So I would be reversing and reprocessing multiple months of previous Pay Super transactions. How does that affect payroll reporting for BAS and Payroll tax that have already been lodged? I was hoping to keep all the adjusting transactions in this quarter so nothing else would be affected.

I processed one lump sum void entry for all the previous months. Will the process you suggested still work as the first link you provided says I'd need to do one for each affected month?

If I simply receipt the payment as a receive money to my Super Payable GL account, could I just ignore the negative entry in the pay super/pay liabilities screen? Can it sit there forever and not affect anything else?

Heather

H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

461Posts

220Kudos

4Solutions

Not sure why I can't edit my previous message but I've decided to suck it up and follow the suggestions so ignore my previous questions please.

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @H-TS 

Thanks for the update. Please do let me know if you need any further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post