Transition from Xero to MYOB during a Payroll Year

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Edgy
Experienced Cover User
19 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

19Posts

6Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Transition from Xero to MYOB during a Payroll Year

New to a company and I'm creating a new MYOB file. (AccountRight Plus)

I believe I will need the existing companies Business Management Software ID (BMI) and existing employee payroll ID's within ATO STP system (which the previous contracted bookkeeper should provide).

I have found some information regarding transitioning for payroll:

https://support.yourpayroll.com.au/hc/en-au/articles/360000975555-Transition-options-available-with-...

Here, It refers to importing the YTD payroll figures using the opening balances feature.

Is this referring to the feature within the ATO STP (I do not have access to this portal yet, so I can not tell)?

I was going to duplicate all transactions from 1 July, including payroll in my MYOB file as previously dated and processed in Xero (there are not too many).  This would correctly allocation TAX, Super liabilities etc.

How do I not duplicate the ATO reporting through STP for wages already processed & STP reported from 1 July to my first actual payroll run?

4 REPLIES 4
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: Transition from Xero to MYOB during a Payroll Year

Hi @Edgy 

Payroll reporting is based on year-to-date information so it does depend on how those payroll transactions come across with the migration.

If the transactions come across as payroll transactions then ideally you want to process a zero dollar pay (clear out the amounts) in your previous software and finalise those records. This way when you come to AccountRight company file you would all the history for that year and do all your reporting in the new file.

Should the transactions come across as journal entries or are not being brought across you would be looking at finalising the pays in the previous software and then go forward with your pays in the new files. At the end of the year, you would have your pays from your previous software and the pays in the current software that make up the total for the full payroll year. You can use the other method and clear out the history from the previous software using this method but you would be looking at needing to enter that history (as pay transactions or in the pay history) in the AccountRight software.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Edgy
Experienced Cover User
19 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

19Posts

6Kudos

1Solutions

Thanks Steven, I will be duplicating the payroll from 1 July in the new MYOB file, so as to have the full history.

Will all individual pay runs need to be reported through STP or is it the last pay run only that contain the YTD figures?

Xero will remove the YTD figures for employes and report via update event and mark as final.

Does this sound correct?

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @Edgy 

Ideally, you want to sign up for Payroll Reporting (STP) and then report those pays as you go. This will then give you the individual records to show that they have been reported if someone does question it. However, you could, in theory, record those pays, sign up and then report those pays either with a zero dollar pay or with your first pay when signed up. From a Payroll Reporting perspective, the information is based on the year-to-date information so it wouldn't matter which way you would go.

In terms of your understanding, that is correct. The previous payroll reporting would need to clear out the records and finalise the records. You would then need to re-enter that information into your AccountRight file so that you can report that information.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Edgy
Experienced Cover User
19 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

19Posts

6Kudos