Unable to delete a pay - even if it hasn't been reported/sent to STP/ATO yet

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

461Posts

220Kudos

4Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Unable to delete a pay - even if it hasn't been reported/sent to STP/ATO yet

I've read what seems like a gazillion other posts on this topic but all the official MYOB responses I read seemed to indicate that the requirement to reverse instead of delete a pay, only applies if the declaration has already been sent to the ATO. So, I changed my procedures and I don't send the report immediately. I've been waiting a few hours after sending payslips each week, in case any employees come back to me with discrepancies. Then, my theory was, I could make any necessary adjustments easily, and send the declaration as my last task before heading home.

However, this theory has been tested today. I have an adjustment to make (not even really an adjustment, I simply left off a job number - no changes to amounts, categories or anything!!!!!!). And still, MYOB is saying I need to reverse the pay instead of deleting.

In this case, I will simply use a journal to reallocate but this is a nightmare. I've taken pride in being able to keep my MYOB files neat and tidy for my entire working career but now, my files are getting messy because I can't make simple adjustments, when I or other staff members make mistakes.

There has got to be a better way for this to be implemented. I understand the theory of the audit trail etc but if all MYOB is sending to ATO is YTD figures, then surely it could send an updated (reduced) YTD report when the pay is deleted - as part of the deletion process?

It is such a headache. I'm curious to know what user-testing was done before the changes were made. Or were  discussions only had with accountants and tax advisors and people who don't actually use the software from day to day, but use the data the rest of us are entering all day every day.

Don't bother passing more feedback on to the developers. Just get it fixed and user-friendly again. Please.

Unless of course, I should be able to delete the pay because I haven't sent the STP report yet. In which case, I retract most of my rant, and would appreciate any help investigating why I can't delete the pay. (Noting that I won't be able to easily reproduce the problem since I have to submit the payroll report today.)

3 REPLIES 3
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Unable to delete a pay - even if it hasn't been reported/sent to STP/ATO yet

Hi @H-TS 

If your security settings allow you to delete transactions then you should be able to delete pays that have the status rejected or not sent in the Payroll reporting centre. I've just tested that in my software and can delete all unsent pays. I understand that we can't troubleshoot with this weeks payrun but if you could test this next week and send me screenshots that would be great. 

Just with regard to the reversal process, in order for STP to be updated a pay or update event needs to be sent to the ATO. When a pay transaction is reversed a new transaction is recorded in the software and sent to the ATO when that reversal is declared. When a pay is deleted the transaction is removed from the software, no new transaction is recorded which means that there is no update pushed through to STP.

From an audit perspective, reversing payruns means that pays reported in the software match pays reported in the ATO Business portal. It creates transparency with record keeping so that employers don't need to explain why a pay has been deleted. 

Please do send me those screenshots next week so that we can work out why you can't delete those pays.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

461Posts

220Kudos

4Solutions

Re: Unable to delete a pay - even if it hasn't been reported/sent to STP/ATO yet

Thanks @Tracey_H 

Turns out I had to another adjustment today and thought I'd be able to get the screenshots for you. It turns out I couldn't delete the pay because I hadn't deleted the electronic payment file. I was so hooked up on the STP changes aspect (still incredibly frustrating despite the logical arguments for it and your explanation) that I wasn't thinking clearly. 

I could delete a pay today until I created the bank file. After I deleted the bank file transaction then I could delete the pay again.

Thanks for responding so politely to my rant. At least I know my new procedure, while more time-consuming, is likely to work.

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

You're very welcome @H-TS 

I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve this, thanks for letting me know.

If you have issues or questions in the future don't hesitate to reach out.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post