Unable to process payroll for July 2020

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Unable to process payroll for July 2020

Hi everyone

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 01/07/2020 - Clients will be able to process their pays from 10am EST today

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been some confusion around processing pays for July 2020 in AccountRight 2020.2. I hope this clarifies it but if you do need help please don't hesitate to start a new post.

In AccountRight 2020.2 rolling over the payroll year and uploading the new tax tables is done automatically by the software at the start of the new financial year. As such, you won't be able to process pays with a July payment date until 1st July, when that roll over process will have occurred.

When trying to process a pay run with a payment date in July and the system date is June, you will receive the error message You can only enter pays for the current or previous financial year. This is because the system has not rolled over to the new payroll year, ie 2020-21.

This error message is NOT referring to the financial year in your company file (Setup>>Company Information) so please do NOT close your financial year. We do recommend that users always check with their accountants prior to closing the financial year.

The message is an intentional change in the process, as the system does not allow for pays to be processed in a future payroll year. However, we do understand the wording may cause some confusion and we do apologise for that.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

248 REPLIES 248
Catherine_M
Experienced User
11 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

11Posts

39Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Unable to process payroll for July 2020

Hello,

Thank you for that information. The problem I have is that we are closing down our preschool for the school holidays and we need to process the close-down period pays today and forward date the payments in our banking app so that staff are paid during the holidays. How do I go about doing that without having to wait until the 1st July. I won't have our Director here and we need 2 people to do the pay run.

Please tell me there is a way around this...

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @Catherine_M 

Some clients have found that by changing the system date they were able to process the July pays early, however, this is not something that we recommend. 

Thinking about your specific situation I'm wondering if you could process the pays in AccountRight after you re-open? You would need to make sure the PAYG Withheld was correct and get an operational deferral for STP through the ATO Business Portal. But it may be another option for you to consider.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Tanialmm
Experienced Cover User
120 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

120Posts

43Kudos

1Solutions

This is a bit annoying as we are not all available to actually enter our payroll info on the 1st July - and as we have to enter and send (STP) before the payment is actually made - this makes it a bit difficult for us as we pay on a Wednesday and the 1st July happens to be a Wednesday.

It's not much help doing an update that actually makes it more difficult to get your work done.

Catherine_M
Experienced User
11 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

11Posts

39Kudos

0Solutions

I don't think changing the date in the system is a solution and won't be doing that. Why on earth would you suggest that and then follow up that it's not recommended?

I also don't think waiting to enter the payrun data until the 1st of July is a solution ... in my opinion that is fraught with the opportunity to make mistakes and applying for an operational deferral from STP reporting - what nonsense!

I thought updates were there to make life easier, not harder! Our Director is on holidays and one of our teachers has to come in especially on the 1st July to simply ensure staff can be paid on time ... ridiculous!

pse
1 Post
User
User

1Posts

16Kudos

0Solutions

Hello

The way single touch payroll works is that you are supposed to lodge payrol;l dat before it is paid.  Preventing companies from processing pays in June for 1 July - makes it difficult to comply with the Single Touch Payroll legislation.

Might want to rethink you decision to prevent payroll being processed in June for July.

Also prevents us from paying super in advance and getting a tax deduction a year earlier.

DKC
1 Post
User
User

1Posts

18Kudos

0Solutions

I too think that this is a big problem

I always go away this time of year - I have kids and it is school holidays. I am the only person who does payroll for our business and I always set up payroll in advance before going on holiday and have done for years.

MYOB really needs to consider the impact this has on small business at this time of year

Anita_D
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

35Kudos

0Solutions

Hi there,

This is a huge issue for my payroll. Ineed to process payroll for 230 staff members all with the pay date of 1st of July 2020.

It is impossible to get this done on the 1st of July when that is when the pays are supposed to go into each employees bank. Normally we transfer the pays the day before just to ensure the money hits each bank on the 1st, employees have scheduled payments to come out and we try to be helpful with that. This in turn is going to affect each and every one of our employees, and i can't even give them much notice.

You need to be able to process payroll in advance. Our fortnight period is 15/06/20 - 28/06/20 with a payment date of 1st of July 2020. I have sent off all my payroll information to the ATO for FY 19/20, i need to process my first payroll for FY 20-21

Anyway, I've only just realised this is an issue this morning when i am about to start processing. This has now caused major issues for us.

Not impressed MYOB!!!

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi Everyone

Thank you for your additional comments on this topic.

We've passed on those comments to our team. At this time, payroll transactions for the 2020-21 payroll year will be able to be processed in AccountRight 2020.2 from 01/07/2020.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Jeez
4 Posts
User
User

4Posts

31Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Payroll error - only enter pays for current or previous financial year

Useless and not helpful answer.

We need to process the pay when we are in the office.

I have to process payroll for my client today, for Wednesday 1st July.

What if the HELP portion of PAYG has changed?  No idea what to pay individual staff.

This is not good enough MYOB.

Ususal "wonderful" updates that just make MYOB worse and worse.

The old desktop accountright was good, the online versions just get worse and worse. And you are held by the short and curlies with monthly payments, a rip-off.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post