Undeposited Funds/Clearing Payroll entries

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
CathVSA
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Undeposited Funds/Clearing Payroll entries

I found another this thread that seems to be relevant to my problem, although that was answered by Steven back in August and doesn't quite answer my problem.

I am using version 2019.4.

We paid an employee cash for one pay period, instead of by the usual method of eft. I ticked the "cash" box in the payroll system which allocated the payment to Undeposited Funds. I then processed that with "prepare bank deposit" and it hit the bank account as expected.
That transaction however doesn't seem to be able to be cleared from the Undeposited Funds screen. I have tried reversing the transaction and re-entering it and it just leaves us with more entries that won't clear, even after processing the bank deposit.
Steven's reply in August said that you shouldn't process payroll transactions via undeposited funds, clearly I wish I saw that before doing it, but given that it is an allowed option, what is the issue and what can I do to clear the transaction that has been processed from the "prepare bank deposit" screen?
Thanks! Cheers Cath

9 REPLIES 9
Komal_S
MYOB Moderator
8,280 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

8,280Posts

741Kudos

1,164Solutions

Re: Undeposited Funds/Clearing Payroll entries

Hi @CathVSA 

It seems that the linked accounts in your company file are not setup properly. Can you please confirm if the bank account for cash payments (Setup--> Linked Accounts--> Payroll Accounts--> Bank Account for Cash Payments) is same as the bank account for undeposited funds (Setup--> Accounts & Banking Accounts--> Bank account for undeposited funds) . If both the accounts are same and are setup as main cheque account, then preparing the bank deposit would not clear anything from that window. The linked account for undeposited funds should never be the main bank account. 

The simplest way to resolve this would be changing the linked accounts for undeposited funds as that would clear any transactions under the "Prepare Bank Deposit" screen. However, do take a backup of your file before doing that so you can revert back in case anything goes wrong. 

Kind regards,
Komal

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

CathVSA
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Komal, thank you for your reply.

The bank account for cash payments is the same as the bank account for undeposited funds - both are "undeposited funds" - not the main bank account.

I have attached screenshots in case that doesn't make sense.

We use "undeposited funds" extensively and the transactions always clear out correctly so it works for our normal operations.  The only time it hasn't worked it for the one-off payroll transaction that won't clear out.

Payroll Linked Accounts.png
Undeposited funds linked account.png
Komal_S
MYOB Moderator
8,280 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

8,280Posts

741Kudos

1,164Solutions

Hi @CathVSA 

The linked account for undeposited funds is a clearing account that is just used to hold money till it is deposited into the actual bank account. In your case, if you are also specifying it as the bank account for cash payments, then ideally it should be withdrawing the money out of that account; but since it's linked for undeposited funds, the money is being deposited as well. This situation causes a conflict and the first thing you need to change is the Bank account for cash payments. It should be set to the actual bank account from which the payments are made instead of linked undeposited funds.

Once that is done, you can either delete that payroll transaction and re-enter it correctly; or change the linked account for undeposited funds to let's say another clearing account, which would clear out everything from "Prepare Bank Deposit" screen.

If you have any concerns about changing the linked accounts, I would recommend having a chat with your accounting advisor. 

Kind regards,
Komal

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

CathVSA
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Komal_S 

Thank you again for your reply!

I have changed the linked payroll acocunt for cash payments to the bank account that they come out of, and that makes much more sense than using undeposited funds.

Unfortunately though I can't delete the payroll transaction as superannuation has been paid from it, and reversing the transaction crates another transaction in undeposited funds that won't clear lol.

Our other clearing accounts all have transactions that we don't want cleared on a daily basis.

It is therefore looking like our only option to not have these transactions show is to create a brand new "undeposited funds" account and make the current one inactive?  Is that right?

We use the undeposited funds account daily and it is annoying seeing those transactions all the time!

Thanks again

Cheers Cath

Komal_S
MYOB Moderator
8,280 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

8,280Posts

741Kudos

1,164Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @CathVSA 

Yes, creating a new undeposited fund accounts and linking it to Setup--> Linked Accounts--> Accounts and Banking Accounts--> Bank account for undeposited funds will clear those transactions from Prepare Bank Deposit. 

You might not need to inactivate the previous linked account as it would not link to preparing bank deposits anymore and you can search by that old account if you ever want to know what transactions were posted against it. But then again, it's totally up to you if you want to inactivate the account for some other reasons.

Kind regards,
Komal

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

CathVSA
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you again!

CathVSA
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi again @Komal_S 

Sorry to bug you again with this!

I just wanted to query your comment:  "creating a new undeposited fund accounts and linking it to Setup--> Linked Accounts--> Accounts and Banking Accounts--> Bank account for undeposited funds will clear those transactions from Prepare Bank Deposit."

Can I please just confirm that creating a new undeposited funds account does not actually "clear those transactions" from the old undeposited account, you just don't notice them now because you are using a new account.

We are not excited about transfering to a new "undeposited funds" account but if that is what we have to do, we will....

Thank you again for your help.

Cheers Cath

Komal_S
MYOB Moderator
8,280 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

8,280Posts

741Kudos

1,164Solutions

Hi @CathVSA 

Changing the linked account for undeposited funds would not clear any transactions from that account number, but would just clear your Prepare Bank Deposit window. 

When you search for the old account under Find transactions, you can find all the transactions linked to it.

Feel free to post should you have any other questions. 

Kind regards,
Komal

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

CathVSA
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Komal_S 

Thank you so much for your fast response again, I really appreciate it.

Cheers Cath

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post