ATO Error Message for Taxable Payments Annual Report (TPAR) 2019

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Christine07
3 Posts
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

ATO Error Message for Taxable Payments Annual Report (TPAR) 2019

Hi

I have been trying to test lodge my TPAR file with the ATO and I keep getting an error message stating that it failed due to the following reason:

"Reason: Please contact your software developer. The file size is not a correct multiple of the record length."

I spoke to Myob Support yesterday and we went through the process of opening the file up in Notebook++ and they thought it had something to do with the addresses.  I retyped in the addresses for the suppliers listed but that did not seem to have any effect.  It was also suggested that I open my Myob datafile on my local desktop and do the report and save the file there.  Usually I work from a remote desktop and would normally copy and paste the file to my local desktop as my Auskey is on a USB.  So I did this just now and even though the file is not being moved anywhere I still received the error message when doing the test lodge.

Can anyone shed any light on how to fix please?

Thanks

Christine 

6 REPLIES 6
Gayathri
1,144 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,144Posts

0Kudos

122Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: ATO Error Message for Taxable Payments Annual Report (TPAR) 2019

Hi @Christine07,

Thank you for the post!

There are a couple of things that can produce that particular error. The first is that the Empdupe file has been opened and edited in another program, which upsets the formatting of the file. This would make the file unusable by the ATO for reporting purposes.

The other common cause comes from the address or company name fields. Specifically that there may be an illegal or invalid character entered into the fields. To help resolve this you would need to go into the company details on the preparing of the payment summaries and overtype all of the information with the same details.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Gayathri

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Christine07
3 Posts
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Gayathri

Thanks for your reply.  When I redid the report this morning on my local desktop I did not open the file in any program.  I did nothing more than save the TPAR file on my local desktop and went straight to the ATO Business Portal to do the test lodge.

I redid the report again just now and retyped the company information as you suggested.  Unfortunately the test lodge is still failing with the same message.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks 

Christine

gavin12345
Ultimate User
4,953 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

4,953Posts

1,000Kudos

633Solutions

Hi @Christine07 

Address issue cause 'illegal character' errors, not the error you are reporting. The most common cause is users lodging the wrong file. When saving the lodgment file in MYOB be sure to give the file a clear and distinct file name. Upload the same file. 

If problems persist this could be caused by non Windows based servers/computers. Are you using a unix server or a Mac at any point?

Check the exact file size of the file when originally created. Then check the exact file size on the computer from which you are trying to lodge. Has the file size changed at all? One byte can make a difference.

What is the exact file size and how may Payees are you reporting on?

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
Christine07
3 Posts
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @gavin12345 

My computer is windows based.  This morning I started all over again.  I deleted the existing TPAR file that I created yesterday.  I opened my myob datafile and created a whole new TPAR file.  I have saved the new file on my desktop.  I have not opened it or moved it at all.  The file name that was saved is the default file name myob gives it TPAR.C01 and the file size is 18.5KB or 19,023 bytes.  I am reporting on 21 payees.  

I then logged into the ATO Business Portal and did a test lodge with the file.  The file failed again with the same message (see below):

TEST FAILED FILE FORMAT VALIDATION REPORT

Your File TPAR.C01 was received by the Australian Taxation Office. File submitted is for test only and is NOT lodged. The file contained errors that prevented processing it further.

The errors found are listed below. Please correct the errors, then re-test the file before lodging.

================================================================================
Validation status: Test failed

Document name: TPAR.C01

ATO Reference number: 2512843154997

File type:

Date/Time file received: 23/08/2019 08:47:44

File size (bytes): 19023

File sent by: Christine 

Reason: Please contact your software developer. The file size is not a correct multiple of the record length.

=================================END OF REPORT=================================

As you can see on the error message the file size is still the same.

I am at a loss as to what to do.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Christine

Gayathri
1,144 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,144Posts

0Kudos

122Solutions

Hi @Christine07,

Thank you for the post!

I am sorry for the inconvenience. Could you send me the file which is causing the error through private messages and we would take a look at it and tell you what is causing that error.

Here is a link that will take you to your private messages- Private Messages . You can send us a private message here.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Gayathri

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

gavin12345
Ultimate User
4,953 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

4,953Posts

1,000Kudos

633Solutions

Hi @Christine07 

Your file should be 19008 bytes. Somewhere MYOB is adding 15 extra bytes.

Certain MYOB fields allow carriage returns, for example address fields. The software should really check for and eliminate these when creating files such as empdupe and tpar files which do not permit these characters - clearly it does not.

Hopefully MYOB will be able identify the problem fields.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post