Client who does not need to register for GST

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
AlanT
Partner
2,368 Posts
Partner
Australia
Partner

2,368Posts

395Kudos

424Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Client who does not need to register for GST

Hi All,

Just after some opinions here, I have a new client (sole trader, ABN registered but very small turn over and not registered for GST) that I am setting up on AccountRight Basics. As they are GNR, how would you set up their GST codes. 

1. Change every account in the chart of accounts to N-T or

2. Edit the GST tax rates and set to 0%.

Your thoughts please.

Regards,

AlanT

4 REPLIES 4
Neil_M
13,473 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

13,473Posts

0Kudos

1,916Solutions

Re: Client who does not need to register for GST

HI @AlanT 

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason that they can’t use the appropriate tax codes like N-T or other zero-rated codes on their transactions?

In terms of changing all the tax codes on all of the accounts, if this file then became registered for GST in the future, all of those accounts would potentially have to be changed back to what they were previously. This could cause issues if some got missed or assigned the wrong tax code

As I'm not a tax accountant, Im only speaking in the context of what could impact the software and its ability to calculate figures

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Elizabeth_Adamson
Super User
526 Posts
Super User
Australia

526Posts

37Kudos

25Solutions

Personally I would change the GST rate to zero just in case the status changes later. I am not an accountant so this is just my personal preference and should not be deemed as official advice.

Cheers

Liz

GDay53
Ultimate Partner
2,594 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

2,594Posts

1,040Kudos

569Solutions

@AlanT 

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

I agree with @Neil_M  the best way to go is change the Tax codes in the Chart of Accounts and leave the individual Tax Codes set to the correct rates.

If my response to your query and has helped, please mark my post as a solution to help others in the future.
Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
Gralord Enterprises Pty Ltd
Mobile: 0402 841 627
graemeday@optusnet.com.au
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner
AlanT
Partner
2,368 Posts
Partner
Australia
Partner

2,368Posts

395Kudos

424Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi All,

Thanks for your opinions.  I ended up changing all the accounts in the chart to N-T, which was a pain and took a lot of time.  Fingers crossed that the client does not soon register for GST and I have to change them all back, but if I do need to, I will probably export the chart of accounts as a csv file and update it in Excel then import it back in.

It is disappointing that AccountRight does not have the option to set the business as not registered for GST (as Essentials does).

My original thoughts about just setting the GST amount to 0% is probably what I would do if this situation arises in the future.

Regards,

AlanT

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post