Company We Are Invoicing For Works Doesn't Have An ABN, Only An ACN

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Jaydana1
Contributing User
9 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

9Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Company We Are Invoicing For Works Doesn't Have An ABN, Only An ACN

Hi,

I am invoicing a Company that we did some work for (so trying to create a sales invoice).  They do not have an ABN, only an ACN.  When I create a client file for them, I have used N-T? (Would be helpful though if MYOB actually had a section to fill in the ACN details though).  Because I have selected N-T, when I try to create our sales invoice, it doesn't show GST but it should as WE (our Company) are registered for GST and we charge GST on our services.  They still have to pay our GST charge whether or not they have an ABN so why isn't it showing in the sales invoice section?  

4 REPLIES 4
leibholdqpbc
Experienced User
60 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

60Posts

2Kudos

1Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Company We Are Invoicing For Works Doesn't Have An ABN, Only An ACN

Beleive you should have the tax on card set to GST  - not N-T

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,010 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,010Posts

911Kudos

635Solutions

Hi @Jaydana1 

If no ABN is provided, in some instances you are generally required by law to deduct something like 46% - check with your accountant or the tax office. See here from the ATO website for example. Penalties may apply if you fail to deduct - it is like paying wages to an employee who does not provide a TFN.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
Jaydana1
Contributing User
9 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

9Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for your response.  This is however a sales invoice I am raising not a purchase.  The other non-ABN Company will be paying us, we aren't paying him.  If we were paying him, then yes, I would have to withhold as you mention which I have done before also too.

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,010 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,010Posts

911Kudos

635Solutions

Hi @Jaydana1 

Sorry I missed the Sales Invoice part. There is no provision in MYOB for an ACN as this is not required to be reported.  

As long as you don't tick 'Use Customer's Tax Code' (on Selling details tab), you can use N-T or GST etc on the Card - this will be ignored anyway. The Sales invoice will then use the Tax Code you have set for the Sales account being used (generally GST). 

If you do tick 'Use Customer's Tax Code' (on Selling details tab) you should GST as @leibholdqpbc suggested to ensure MYOB applies GST.

So the Customer will see a GST Component on the invoice as is normal, whether they are registered for GST or not. 

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post