Correctly dealing with and reconciling to ATO ICA; Effective Date vs. Processed Date?

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
JoeW
Experienced Cover User
56 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

56Posts

3Kudos

1Solutions

Correctly dealing with and reconciling to ATO ICA; Effective Date vs. Processed Date?

Prepare yourselves for a tale of woe.

My accountants of 15 years turned out to have quietly maintained a second set of books. Whenever they found an issue in my MYOB file rather than tell me about it or offer to fix it, they silently did whatever was required to prepare the accounts and company tax return, and ignored the issues in MYOB.

This included failing to properly deal with all of the tax-related MYOB accounts: GST Paid and Collected, PAYG Withholding, and GIC penalties and penalty remissions. Most notably there was simply no ATO ICA account in MYOB at all.

You can imagine the mess. I am no longer with those accountants. My next accountant started the process of working with me to correct this in MYOB - I now have an ATO ICA liability account and all BAS/IAS are entered into it, and payments to the ATO are shown as payments to the ICA liability account in MYOB. So far so good?

To my sorrow this excellent accountant retired and I moved to a third set. This new one disagrees greatly with how the second one fixed things. The chief disagreement is about reconciling the MYOB ATO ICA liability account to the actual ATO ICA.

The second accountant said that this should be based on the ATO Effective Date. The third client says it should be based on the ATO Processed Date.

e.g. if I revise a BAS for the 2020-21 financial year in the 2021-22 financial year, which of the two ATO dates should my balance sheet match as of 30/06/2021? The third accountant argued persuasively that it should look like what the ATO thought it looked like at that time, i.e. reconcile to the Processed Date, and this intuitively makes sense to me. The second accountant said that since the amendment was made before the accounts and tax return were prepared, the reconciliation should be based on best knowledge at that time, i.e. reconcile to the ICA balance Effective Date as of 30/06/2021.

I am now hopelessly confused because using Processed Date (that's surely what "as of" means, right? This is what both my company and the ATO thought the numbers were as of that date) is not correctly balancing GST Paid, GST Collected, PAYGW, etc. I would have thought that if all of this was done correctly they would have a NIL balance in the balance sheet and not appear at all, because all liabilities were transferred to the ATO ICA liability account.

I know the usual advice for these sorts of things is "ask your accountant" but three sets of accountants all have given me wildly differing approaches... and none of them seem to properly reconcile to the ATO's numbers. I would be most grateful for anyone who can make some sense of this.

1 REPLY 1
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Re: Correctly dealing with and reconciling to ATO ICA; Effective Date vs. Processed Date?

Hi @JoeW 

Thanks for your post. I wish I could give you advice on how to reconcile the ICA, but, as we're not accountants we're actually not permitted to. Hopefully one of our users will be able to offer some assistance with this, otherwise, the ATO may be able to help.

Please don't hesitate to post again if you need help in the future.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post