First year Terminal Tax Entry

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Testing
4 Posts
Cover User
New Zealand
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

First year Terminal Tax Entry

Scenario- Re Company's Income Tax

For Year End 2018, company will pay tax on the profit for the first time. There was no provisional tax paid till date i.e. 8th March 2019.

Provisional tax for 2019 is not paid yet.

As per rules 2018 Income tax and 2019 provisional tax can be paid in April 2019.

I have following concern

1. Should there be a journal entry on 31/03/2018 showing 2018 income tax liability. 

2. Should there be any entry for 2019 provisional tax before it is actually paid.

3. If 2018 terminal tax is paid within 2019 Financial year, the net profit for 2019 will be reduced thus less tax for 2019. Am I right here.

Please let me know if something is not clear above. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Haydes
MYOB Product Team
6,317 Posts
MYOB Product Team
Australia
MYOB Product Team

6,317Posts

1,108Kudos

903Solutions

Re: First year Terminal Tax Entry

Hi @Testing 

This is something an accounting expert should look into and recommend asking the accountant or an MYOB Advisor (See our MYOB Advisor Search)

That said, we do have some experts on the Forum that might be able to give some input if they have some spare time, I'll tag them below:

@jenniek @Mike_James 

Cheers,
Hayden
MYOB Product Team

Currently Working On:
Supplier Feeds | E-invoicing
In Tray
Previously Worked On:
MYOB Capture App | MYOB Invoices app
MYOB Support (2015-2019)

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,857 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,857Posts

1,026Kudos

756Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: First year Terminal Tax Entry

Hi @Testing, to account for company income tax my suggestion would be:

Set up an income tax expense account in other expenses (9-xxxx), and an income tax payable in other ecurrent liabilities. 

Any payments of provisional or terminal income tax should be allocated to the payable account (2-xxxx). 

When preparing end of year accounts, record a journal for the income tax liability (Dr. income tax expense, Cr. Income tax payable).  In your example, if you have closed 2018 you may need to record the 2018 liability against retained earnings (Dr. Retained Earnings, Cr. Income tax payable); however if you are using the new AccountRight program, you can re-open the year and add a journal debiting the income tax expense. 

If your tax payments for any year are more or less than your tax charge, you can subsequently journal the balance back to the income expense account.

To answer your specific questions:

1. Ideally yes, and being able to re-open closed years makes this easier

2. No, record provisional tax via Spend Money when paid

3. Not correct, tax payments should be allocated to the tax liability account. The current year tax liability would always be worked out on net profit or loss before income tax expense.

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post