GST return error

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
DougX19
1 Post
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

GST return error

Just trying out AccountRight Basic PC edition, and found an issue. Can replicate the issue with a new blank demo file. Just added theses 3 expenses in.

Exspense 1 $14.14 incl GST

Exspense 2 $11.00 incl GST

Exspense 3 $12.90 incl GST

Total $38.04 incl GST, which is $33.08 ex GST, $4.96 GST

When I run the GST return using payments basis for GST reporting I get on the report $37.95 for exspenses incl GST. That's 9 cents different for just 3 transactions. That's way more than any rounding error's.

Any idea what's wrong?

My play account file attached.

1 REPLY 1
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: GST return error

Hi @DougX19 

The difference is caused by the way in which the GST Return compiles its information. It will take the tax amount and works its way up the form. So it takes the GST amount i.e. 4.95 and multiples that by 23 then divides by 3. This is opposed to gathering the total amount multiplying by 3 then dividing it by 23. 

My understanding is that this the way the IRD has indicated that the form should work. The key values on that report being the tax amounts, the total purchases and expenses being minor values that can be subjected to minor deviations in amounts (typically a few cents).

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post