MYOB Tax Code Problem - Field allows you to save a blank code

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Jenny-Accounts
Experienced Cover User
10 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

10Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

MYOB Tax Code Problem - Field allows you to save a blank code

I am using AccountRight Premier AU 2020. 1. 0 online.

I accidentally came accross a sale transaction from last quarter in which has a blank tax code on a transaction line.  This should have been the code "GST", as is default.  This meant our client was not charged GST, and obviously there are reporting implications to the ATO.  Attached is a screen print of the transaction which was put through accidentally without a Tax Code.

I tested re-entering the same sale transaction, and clicking into the Tax Code field, then deleting the default GST code so the field was blank, and saving the transaction.  I was able to do this, without any warning or controls from the system to alert me to the problem.  I performed a similar test adding a bill, and same issue there, a tax code is not enforced.

When running the GST detail report, it does not show up 'Blank' Tax code transactions, it should, if the system allows you to enter blank tax codes.  To date I have relied on this report, and made an assumption that every transaction was included, so I did not pick this up at the EOQ in March.

I ran a Tax Code exception report, and was able to pickup the erronous tax code transaction in this way.  In future this is how I will double check all transactions have a Tax code.

Is there a preference setting to enforce a tax code on line entry? I'm hoping so.

If there is not, and this is just how it is, then it is in my opinion a serious 'control' flaw in the system preventing accurate tax reporting, which should be fixed urgently.  Incidentally 've had the same test run in Xero, and you are unable to save the transaction without a tax code, this is how MYOB should be.  See attachment.

I look forward to your response.

Blank GST.jpg
Xero Tax  Test.jpg
5 REPLIES 5
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: MYOB Tax Code Problem - Field allows you to save a blank code

Hi @Jenny-Accounts 

Thanks for your post. When recording sales through Enter Sales the Tax code field is prefilled based on either the Customer's Tax Code, the item's tax code or the tax code linked to the income account. Income accounts and items cannot be saved without tax codes. This does mean that the field will always be prefilled and the tax code would need to be manually deleted from the sale prior to recording. 

As part of month-end procedures we do recommend running the Company Data Auditor which does check for Tax code exceptions and runs the Tax code exception report. This checks for not only missing tax codes but for any tax codes that have been changed so that you can confirm those changes are correct.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Jenny-Accounts
Experienced Cover User
10 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

10Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Tracey_H 

Thank you for your response.  I do understand, and know that the Tax codes are automatically filled.  The issue is, if you accidentaly click into the field and press the space bar or delete button, and delete the TAX code, you are not warned, nor are forced to enter a code before saving the bill or sales invoice.  

Under no circumstances should you be allowed to save a line without a tax code.  This is a shortfall in MYOB, and needs to be fixed, their should be an 'inbuilt' control in the data entry forms to force a  'valid' TAX code.  Otherwise, the integrity of the GST /  BAS is compromised.  This is a Quality Assurance issue and would appreciate it if you could log it as an 'high prioirty' fix/enhancement with the development team.

Regards

Jenny

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @Jenny-Accounts 

My apologies for the delay in replying. Thank you for your feedback regarding this, I have discussed it with the relevant team.

Please let me know if you need further help.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

SharonSL
Trusted Cover User
179 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

179Posts

91Kudos

3Solutions

Hi Jenny,

I just came across this exact same issue and am in 100% agreement with you.  Myob shouldn't allow an invoice/purchase to be recorded without a tax code entered.  

The only consolation is that we can pick it up when running through the Company Data Auditor however by that stage it's extremely annoying to find it that late and then have to reprint the other relevant reports.  

Cheers,

Sharon

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @SharonSL 

Thank you for your feedback. This has been passed onto the relevant team.

If there is anything I can help with please do let me know.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post