TPAR file lodgement failed

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
CathInnova
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

TPAR file lodgement failed

Hi 

File error when lodge TPAR file today. Not sure how to fix it.

Please contact your software developer. The file size is not a correct multiple of the record length.

Regards

Cath

10 REPLIES 10
CathInnova
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Re: TPAR file lodgement failed

File size (bytes): 109124 

This the file size

gavin12345
Ultimate User
4,953 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

4,953Posts

1,000Kudos

633Solutions

Hi @CathInnova 

Are you lodging the TPAR.C01 file that MYOB generated during the process? The file size suggests you are lodging the wrong file (unless you have over 1000 contractors you are reporting on).

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
CathInnova
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Yes, TPAR.C01. 

Over 100+ suppliers

gavin12345
Ultimate User
4,953 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

4,953Posts

1,000Kudos

633Solutions

Hi @CathInnova 

Yes, sorry, my post should have read over 100. The length of each record should be 996 characters. There are 6 mandatory records plus the payee records, so if you have 103 payees your file size should be (103+6) * 996 = 108564, or if you have 104 = 109560 - your file size is in between.

What MYOB product and version are you using to generate the TPAR.C01 file? - see Help > About.

If you are using a version several years old, the record sizes are different.

A common area that causes problems with TPAR.C01 file is the address field in MYOB. Suggest you export the Supplier cards to excel and see if the format messes up. If an Address field has more than one line, this will affect both the export file and the TPAR.C01 file. For example some users enter the Address as:

23 Smith Street

Smithtown NSW 2222

Australia

instead of :

23 Smith Street

with the Suburb Postcode and State etc in the separate fields.

Fix these and try to generate the TPAR.C01 file again and see if that resolves.

Unfortunately MYOB developers often do not enforce ATO specifications and validity tests during the process of building the lodgment file, and rely instead on the ATO returning error codes and messages for the user to deal with. This same thing happens with STP reports with ATO returning 'invalid character' errors.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
CathInnova
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks. I will have a look the address file. 

I am using the latest verion of MYOB. 

Tashamano
3 Posts
User

3Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

URGENT

Hi Gavin

I am also having issues trying to ulpoad the TPAR file to the tax portal. The tax portal error says:
The file name contains invalid characters or the file format does not match. Please change the file name and try again.

My file name is TPAR.C01 which is what Myob names the file by default. I need to lodge this TPAR urgently.

I opened the TPAR file in notebook and it is missing a whole lot of data!!! What is going on with Myob? This should be up & working as TPARs are due 28th August

Kind regards

Tasha

URGENT

gavin12345
Ultimate User
4,953 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

4,953Posts

1,000Kudos

633Solutions

Hi @Tashamano 

The file in not meant to make sense in notepad - it is a set format with each line having a set number of characters - so lots of empty spaces - this is normal - ensure you do not edit or change the file in any way. 

I suggest you create the file again and try to lodge - it might have been an issue with the ATO systems at the time. I had an error lodging yesterday, contacted the ATO and they advised to re-lodge - this time it went through.

There is clearly no problem with the file name, so if the error continues, there might be something else at fault. Ensure you upload from the computer on which you created the file, emailing the file is known to cause issues. If you need to email, zip it first.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
Tashamano
3 Posts
User

3Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Gavin

Of course they're ot makeant to make sense in Notepad. I just openedd on notepad to see if there was data there and it was missing all the suppliers. I called you Myob support today. The Myob file created was incorrect beacuse I was missing addresses for the suppliers. You would think that as TPAR requres only 3 things; the supplier name, ABN & address that Myob would be checking those things in order to create the file! Or at least return some sort of error message to say you can't use the file or the file is wrong! Or even just display what data it is using to create the data file to send to the ATO. What a terrible system. How can you call this TPAR lodgement - it's actually useless.

CathInnova
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Gavin,

I checked through all the address field and blank address. it's still has problem. 

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post