2020 Tax - Rental schedule

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
alexzhu
2 Posts
User

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

2020 Tax - Rental schedule

When there is a rental property shared between 2 individuals, and each of them is paying different amount of loan interests, say husband pays 5k and wife pays 6k, in order to correctly capture this expense for each of them respectively, we need to enter the gross loan interests in husband's schedule as 10k and wife's as 12k. By doing this will give us the correct net rent for each of them but the total rental expenses may not be accurate, as the total loan interests should be 11k not 10k or 12k. We understand this should not affect reporting end results but we think it would be nicer to have the old rental schedule where you can have another column to put such expenses rather than only the option of putting gross amounts.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Emily_B
1,327 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,327Posts

0Kudos

170Solutions

Re: 2020 Tax - Rental schedule

Hello @alexzhu 

Thank you for your post. Unless I have misunderstood, it is sounding like you wish to see a different system in Essentials through which variable expenses for a shared loan between two individuals could be input. If this is the case, I will be happy to pass along your feedback to the right team. If however I have misunderstood your query and you do require help with someting pertaining to Rental Schedules, please do let me know and I will reach out to a team member with more expertise in this topic who can better assist you.

Kind regards,
Emily

MYOB Community Support

alexzhu
2 Posts
User

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Emily,

Thansk for your reply. Yes your understanding is right. I'm not sure if I posted in the wrong place, I was intending to refer to the 2020 tax in MYOB accountants enterprise but couldn't find a related tag to make a post.

Emily_B
1,327 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,327Posts

0Kudos

170Solutions

Hello @alexzhu 

No problem at all, I have moved this thread to the Accountants Enterprise board to ensure it is seen by the relevant team for additional comments, if needed.

Kind regards,
Emily

MYOB Community Support

Sandy_C
MYOB Staff
112 Posts
MYOB Staff
MYOB Staff

112Posts

30Kudos

14Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hello @alexzhu 

Thank you for your post and feedback.

I would like to let you know that there has been big changes between the 2019 and 2020 rental schedule, hence why MYOB is working to improve the functionality of the 2020 Rental property schedule. These are expected in future releases. For now if rental property is shared, but each owner has different amounts, you will either need share all or do not share and complete another schedule separately.

Using an example: (e.g one owner has loan interest, the other owner doesn't) - one schedule will need to be created for the first owner, and a second schedule will need to be created for the other owner.

We do understand it's tedious work having to enter multiple schedules and hope with the newer tax release, we'll be able to deliver a better user experience. 

Regards,

Sandy
Client Support Representative

KRNMS
Partner
9 Posts
Partner
Partner

9Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

I have the latest version of tax 2020 and we are still unable to enter individual interest claims.  I have multiple owners of several rental properties, so your suggestion of entering a single schedule for each owner is time consuming and unreasonable to pass the cost on to the clients when it is the software that is incompetent.  This  was not necessary in 2019 and should not be necessary for 2020.

It is now December and half way throught the next tax year.

Problems like this should not still be occurring and we do not receive any discount on our MYOB subscription for all the errors we have had to work around this year.

Sandy_C
MYOB Staff
112 Posts
MYOB Staff
MYOB Staff

112Posts

30Kudos

14Solutions

HI @KRNMS 

Apologies for the delayed response and sorry to hear your frustration.

Since the 2020.1 release, we have made many improvements and changes to our returns and schedules. 

In the rental schedule, you can now enter the private use $ amount in the one schedule without having to create another schedule.

I would also highly recommend going through the release notes for the install as it gives the full overview of updates/changes made to the software.

Regards,

Sandy
Client Support Representative

KRNMS
Partner
9 Posts
Partner
Partner

9Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Sandy

It is not the private use amount that is the problem.  It is the inability to enter one owner's cost such as interest in the second column when the rental details are shared across multiple property owners.  Deleting integration of depreciating assets, deleting schedules, re-entering as if the shared owner has 100% ownership so that that one owner's share can be entered correctly is the problem.  We are reporting inaccurate data to get around the software issues.

We have read the release updates and phoned MYOB Support who have acknowledged this is STILL a known issue and is to be rectified.

So many issues to work around this year that were not a problem in previous years.  Understandable that the ATO has made changes however we pay a hefty amount for software to be compatible with the ATO.  It is now January 2021 and the 2020 tax software still has issues.

Sandy_C
MYOB Staff
112 Posts
MYOB Staff
MYOB Staff

112Posts

30Kudos

14Solutions

Hi @KRNMS 

I really do apologize for this and thank you for your time in letting us know. I will past this feedback onto our development team.

Regards,

Sandy

KRNMS
Partner
9 Posts
Partner
Partner

9Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you.  That would be appreciated.

I have also been dealing with our client manager since her return from holidays.

We just need MYOB to prioritise this as extremely urgent.  We will now have to go and re-integrate everything again for 2021 if the issues are resolved.  We have lost thousands of dollars of productive time which we cannot pass on to clients as it is not their fault the software is not doing what it has in past years.  There is no reduction in our monthly costs to MYOB even with the number of work-arounds we are expected to perform.

And in a year where we have had Covid-19 reports to add to our workflow every month.

We are very close to changing software providers which is not our preferred option.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post