MYOBCommunity
Partner Zone
|
|
Partner Zone

Mapped drives to data folder

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Trusted User ford
253 Posts
Trusted User
New Zealand
ford
Trusted User

253Posts

14Kudos

3Solutions

Mapped drives to data folder

Hello

I'm using accountants office AO Classic and I set up a new pc windows 7 pro with mapped drives to our windows 2012 server.

The M drive is the data folder on all pcs

I can only map the new pc to the M drive via ip address to the server.

All the other pcs are mapped to the M drive via the name of the server.

MYOB does work on the new pc and the data path shows the ip address rather than the name of the pc.

Does that actually matter?

I don't know how to change it but MYOB is working fine.

But I would rather have the mapped drive to the server name.

I don't know if the issue is with the default settings on the new pc or the default settings on MYOB.

In the registry of the new pc I can change the data connect folder path to M drvie rather than the IP address that works but if I try and change the path in the registry for the datapath to be M I get an error saying it can't find that path.

As all of the other PCs are mapped by server name to the M data folder it must be an issue with the default settings on the new PC or in MYOB on the new machine.

2 REPLIES 2
Former Staff Esbisme
216 Posts
Former Staff
Australia
Esbisme
Former Staff

216Posts

13Kudos

32Solutions

Re: Mapped drives to data folder

Hi @ford

Thank you for posting your query here in the Community Forum.  Apologies for not having been able to respond sooner - guess it was that time of year - but we do hope that you had a chance to have a nice relaxing break over Christmas and New Year's.

To answer your question - while it might seem that MYOB is working fine even though you're mapped to the M:\ via an IP address rather than the machine name - you might experience issues with accessing Tax.  This is because to access that database on the server MYOB does want to read to a machine name not an IP address.

I've had a chat with our Technical Services division and they've advised that this is an environmental issue which will require the assistance of an IT Consultant.  Technical Services have suggested that the reason it is mapping using an IP address rather than the machine name, could be because of an issue with Domain Name Servers (DNS).  This will need to be looked into by your IT Consultant.

In addition to this - you might want to also look at whether the Server is using a domain and the workstations are in a workgroup - it is suggested that it's a good idea to have the server and workstations both in the same location - this has been the experience of other clients with a similar issue.

I would recommend getting in contact with your IT Consultant to look into these area's together with our installation/setup guide so that you have the correct and recommended setup for MYOB to function efficiently.  

Hope this information has helped.

Cheers,

Esther
Practice Solutions - Support
MYOB Australia Pty Ltd
Trusted User ford
253 Posts
Trusted User
New Zealand
ford
Trusted User

253Posts

14Kudos

3Solutions

Re: Mapped drives to data folder

Hello

Where is the installation and setup guide.

At the moment the person using the machine hasn't reported any issues but they won't be using the tax module.

I suspected it might be something to do with the environment. The machine is linked to the server as a workstation the same as the others. And they can all access myob via the machine name. I'll get someone to look at the DNS

Thanks

Ford

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post