Get MYOB.AccountRight.API.AddOnConnector.exe To Run All The Time

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Fermax
Experienced Partner
30 Posts
Experienced Partner
Experienced Partner

30Posts

0Kudos

3Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Get MYOB.AccountRight.API.AddOnConnector.exe To Run All The Time

Hi,

We have installed MYOB via the MSI process and looking to run MYOB.AccountRight.API.AddOnConnector.exe all the time, even with the Administrator users isn't logged in.

When the exe file is running and the icon is viewable in the task bar the connection works and from a local computer on the network we can communicate with the connector and run scripts via its IP address, in our case http://192.168.1.12:8080/Accountright.

We then try setup a task schedule with the same exe to run all the time as per these steps https://www.bogotobogo.com/Powershell/How_to_Run_Exe_as_a_Service_in_Windows_Server_2012.php (prior to manually running the task we close the application from the task manager)

Once running http://192.168.1.12:8080/Accountright still works and we can see the company files in the web browser, however our custom scripts (which were working with the exe running in the task bar) run but give off no response, no warning or error messages. I.e. the results are always blank.

Why is this?

How can we resolve?

Why is this not a standard feature?

6 REPLIES 6
The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,537 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,537Posts

165Kudos

162Solutions

Re: Get MYOB.AccountRight.API.AddOnConnector.exe To Run All The Time

Hi @Fermax 

Without reading into your problem too much - from past experience I find the addon connector less reliable than the API as a service - i.e. install AR 2021.2 SE and the API gets installed as a service and runs without the hassles you are having.

The above solution may actually solve your problem - you also configure the API config file to replace the http://localhost:8080/AccountRight where localhost = ip address of the computer.

Regards The Doc

Fermax
Experienced Partner
30 Posts
Experienced Partner
Experienced Partner

30Posts

0Kudos

3Solutions

Hi @The_Doc 

AR is running on a terminal server therefore have installed via the MSI route.

Is there a way to install just the API as service feature from the SE edition?

Yes, I have updated the config file. 

The AddOn Connector has been working fine, just trying to overcome the annoyance of having to have the Admin user logged in on the server for it to work.

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,537 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,537Posts

165Kudos

162Solutions

Hi @Fermax 

Unfortunately the MSI version has been pedalled as the only version to use to install on a TS - and this is wrong.

I have been installing and using  TS to run MYOB since 1996 - yep 1996 !!!

A lot of water under the bridge - but a lot of misinfromation gets out there and one of those seems to be that the ONLY version to install is the .MSI - not so.

The best and only version I believe, for many reasons, to install on a TS is the full SE version - it comes complete with the MYOB version of networking the MYOB file.

You do talk about accessing the API across the network - but you are not using the networking components SE - ?? Note the SE version is not the Server edition as in Windows Server - it just is the version that serves up MYOB myox files across a network (irrespective of the windows network settings) - confusing. 

The SE version also comes with all the components which the msi doesn't - yes the MSI is quick to install; but as of version 2021.1 - the only version that should be installed on servers/TS should be the SE version as the non-SE version - has auto-updating - and that cannot happen on a server.

However, to install the API component - just install the full version - it then runs the API install after completing the SE install - once done you can uninstall the SE version without removing the API.

The Doc

Fermax
Experienced Partner
30 Posts
Experienced Partner
Experienced Partner

30Posts

0Kudos

3Solutions

Hi @The_Doc ,

We connect via RemoteApp on a Windows 2012 R2 Server (no cloud / online datafile).

Will the Server Edition work under this environment / setup? 

Are there going to be any conflict issues installing the Server Edition whilst we already have the MSI version installed and and working?

Is it easy to switch from MSI to Server Edition?

https://help.myob.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=5669238#expand-HowdoIknowifImusingthePCorSer...

MYOB advise the MSI installer for our environment.

I haven't played with the Server Edition, but If you can uninstall the Server Edition whilst leaving the API component, why can't you install just the API component?

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,537 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,537Posts

165Kudos

162Solutions

Hi @Fermax 

It took me ages to sort out just exactly what version is what with MYOB - and depending on who you get you get a different story.

Not knowing exactly what was what caused me substantial grief - updating/installing/uninstalling etc. I have posted a lot of posts in this regard.

I have had the same argument in house with techs installing on client servers - just using the .msi instal but actually not understanding the difference.

There are 2 versions to install - MYOB recommends the .msi as it traditionally is super quick - doesn't require all the ticking of permissions etc - but in saying that it comes with a lot of hidden gotchu!!!! which MYOB (some of them) techs have no clue about.

The SE version anyway is NOW the recommended install for servers because the .msi version (which is not the SE) version has auto-updating built in.

The SE version IS NOT a server version (as in the  traditional Microsoft Server description) - it is just the version designed to port the local MYOB stored file across the network - which in a terminal server environment doesn't exist as there is essentially no network functioning.

However, in your situation, there is a complexity as you are using the API across the network - so you sort of are mixing and matching.

My recommendation is as follows.

Uninstall all .msi versions - you have to do this using the admin cmd line "uninstal .... " to do this as the .msi version cannot be uninstalled from programs unless you logon directly at the server (another catch with the .msi version) 

Uninstall the APIs

Install the SE version fully which will automatically install the API as a service.

Your RemoteApp will work fine as will everything else.

The Doc

Fermax
Experienced Partner
30 Posts
Experienced Partner
Experienced Partner

30Posts

0Kudos

3Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @The_Doc 

I've installed and running the app. "AlwaysUp" as a work around and it is working well.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post