Account Edge and Catalina for Mac/Accountright not Mac friendly, Account Essentials doesn't suit

Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
36 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

36Posts

20Kudos

1Solutions

Account Edge and Catalina for Mac/Accountright not Mac friendly, Account Essentials doesn't suit

Hi there,

I have just received an email stating MYOB won't be updating Accountedge to suit the new Mac software upgrade! I am so frustrated by this! 

Am i right in saying that I cant use Accountright as we are mac users and Accountright is a windows based program only? 

I also understand that mac users can also use MYOB Essentials?? I have looked into this and this program doesnt suit our needs as we track costings by 'job' and MYOB Essentials doesnt offer this? 

So tell me? What accounting package CAN I use that still utilises everything that Accountedge offers that comes with an easy transfer process?? how can i continue to use accountedge? We are only a very small company and do not want to outlay massive $$ along with all the heartache that would come with having to start up a whole new data base?

Very unhappy loyal customer of 10+ years right here!

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
36,583 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

36,583Posts

4,968Kudos

5,351Solutions

Re: Account Edge and Catalina for Mac/Accountright not Mac friendly, Account Essentials doesn't suit

Hi @jce123 

After exploring a wide range of options, last week we regretfully announced that AccountEdge will not be Catalina compliant. See AccountEdge Information before upgrade MAC OS Catalina (10.15) for more information.

While AccountEdge will operate as normal and all functionality remains the same for the foreseeable future with the Mojave operating system. If you do need to upgrade to Catalina, we do recommend reaching out to our team to discuss options - click here to organise a callback.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Ultimate User
3,146 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

3,146Posts

2,253Kudos

434Solutions

Re: Account Edge and Catalina for Mac/Accountright not Mac friendly, Account Essentials doesn't suit

Hi @jce123 

You can continue to use AccountEdge. If you must upgrade your Mac to Catalina, you could buy a 2nd hand Mac with it's current OS and use AccountEdge only on that Mac.

The only other MYOB software that has much the same functionality as AccountEdge is the PC version -  AccountRight 2019. This must be run on a PC or can be run on a Mac (inc 64 bit) however you would need to use Parallels or VMWare etc to run Windows on the Mac.

If switching to AccountRight, MYOB tell you to start a new file, however there is a company that can convert your AccountEdge file to an AccountRight file for around $300 - send me a private message if you want details.

Regards

Gavin

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

7Posts

10Kudos

0Solutions

I have been paying MYOB every month as up until a few weeks ago, I had been hopeful they were seriously looking at supporting their Mac customers. Afterall, 64-bit didn't just happen in 2019/2020. I was prepared to put up with some underlying issues with AccountEdge, like no support for Retina displays natively, which first came out in 2012... 64-bit app support for Microsoft Office came in late 2016, so you know that's how far back that goes.

MYOB is offering customers to contact them for a callback for options, which I take it to mean they will (finally) admit the end of the road for Mac users is right here. You might get some discounted deal going with some of their other options, but MYOB natively on Macs? Maintenance mode only - if you're lucky.

I agree I wouldn't have minded if they had an equivalent online offering, but in all honesty, MYOB has no credibility. I just wished they'd be more upfront about this so I could've looked at switching to something else sooner rather than keep paying them. Then again, it's my fault - afterall AccountEdge doesn't really exist on their main webpage now, does it?

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

I have used MYOB for 25 years and am bitterly dissapointed with this news.

Their lack of care or concern for a good chunk of their clients in astounding.  Their solution - "Buy a second hand computer!"  Such an ill informed response and shows they simply don't give a sh*t about the AccountEdge users.

That all said, I have been using Xero lately for some clients and find it is perfectly acceptable for the needs we have... including the job costing system (which is a massive part of our business).  I cannot think of anything that AccountEdge offers that their system doesn't offer so may be time to switch.

The transition across to Xero isnt too difficult as you can export a lot of data...  and the new financial year is around the corner so would be a good time to be ready to change.

I mean why should we stay with MYOB when they are lacking so completely in customer service or the desire to keep us as clients.

It's deplorable their lack of concern for long standing clients.

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

7Posts

10Kudos

0Solutions

I suppose inventory is one area that can add a lot of confusion and cost when using third party add-ons. But I concur - it's time to look elsewhere. MYOB literally had years to commit to the platform. I do not mind them making a business decision, just wished they'd come out and say it earlier instead of having me pay another 18 months worth of "maintenance".

Highlighted
Ultimate User
3,146 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

3,146Posts

2,253Kudos

434Solutions

Hi @SN90210 

Just to clarify, it was my comment which mentioned buying a 2nd hand Mac if you must upgrade your primary machine to Catalina. I am not from MYOB and this is not a MYOB response.  MYOB's suggestions ( @Steven_M ) simply refer to the fact that AccountEdge will continue to work as expected on the Mojave OS.

Everyone's circumstances and needs differ. Using a 2nd Mac just for AccountEdge is something users have done in the past and was just a suggestion for one way to continue to use AccountEdge without having to move to other software. Each user needs to weigh up the costs and risks of whichever solution they eventually use.

Regards

Gavin

Highlighted
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

23Kudos

0Solutions

Buying a second hand Mac is not a solution if you need the network capablities of AE Network Edition.

This Mac OS issue has been poorly handled by MYOB and no doubt will lose a lot of customers with me being one of the after so many loyal years and thousands of dollars spent on hopeless support.

Highlighted
Experienced User
16 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

16Posts

11Kudos

0Solutions

I Installed Parallels several weeks ago now and installed Mojave.
So far MYOB is working well.

Actaully better than when it was installed on a 6 month old MacBook Pro!

Im happy to move on for now.

Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
18 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

18Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

I have also installed Mojave using my exising Parallels install on my MacBook Air which is also running Windows 10. Both run very smoothly. For those interested, the Parallels install with these 2 OSs takes up 20GB of space.

I am going to use Mojave purely to access archived MYOB files as I have moved all 8 of my entities to "Manager" which I am very happy with....took some time though!

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post