Account Edge and Catalina for Mac/Accountright not Mac friendly, Account Essentials doesn't suit

Highlighted
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Account Edge and Catalina for Mac/Accountright not Mac friendly, Account Essentials doesn't suit

@SusanEy wrote:

i just wonderng what version of Myob you are using with Parallels on the Mac?  I would like to try Accountedge Network Edition, but I don't think this works with Windows? I am not very familar with how parallels works, but do you then have to run Myob through Windows? and what version of windows would you then require?

Hi, I'm using AccountRight 2020.1 which is a windows version at work on a pc, but I was needing to run it on my Mac at home. Parallels allows you to run windows applications on a Mac.

You can use VirtualBox to run Mac applications on a Windows PC if that is what you are looking for.

Cheers

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

7Posts

10Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Account Edge and Catalina for Mac/Accountright not Mac friendly, Account Essentials doesn't suit

@SusanEy wrote:

i just wonderng what version of Myob you are using with Parallels on the Mac?  I would like to try Accountedge Network Edition, but I don't think this works with Windows? I am not very familar with how parallels works, but do you then have to run Myob through Windows? and what version of windows would you then require?

If you don't already have AccountEdge NE, then you should probably rethink your future direction. AccountEdge NE as with other AccountEdge products is a dead end. If you already have AccountEdge NE, then it may be a different question.

Parallels basically allows you to run different versions of operating systems within what you're currently running. eg if you bought a new Mac that can only run Catalina, then you should be able to run Mojave within a Parallels virtual machine (VM), or essentially as an "app" within Catalina. You can also run Windows with Parallels on your Mac running Catalina. I haven't found out how to set this up using a different product called VirtualBox, but if Parallels is easier, I might just go with that.

If you're running Windows anyway, then none of the AccountEdge discussions/disappointments affect you.

If you are starting out or in a position to restart a new accounting package, I would suggest something web based, especially if broadband is not an issue for you. And while MYOB Essentials should be on your list, you may find better solutions elsewhere.

Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
31 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

31Posts

9Kudos

0Solutions

Agree with everything you have said ! and they can't migrate automatically if you have version past !!!!

Totally frustrated and fed up !

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @norton ,

Thanks for explaining the basics of how Parallels works as an option to keep AccountEdge (converted to AccountRight) on a Mac.

Can you maybe explain a little more?

When Parrallels is up and running... do you have to switch between the two operating systems... i.e  say you have your emails and Word, Excel etc. on Catalina and then MYOB on the Mojave through Parallels... can you work these various functions together at the same time or do you have to stop and transfer to the other op system? I'm not sure how it works. You mention it can be as an APP within Catalina... so then this suggests it will sit in the background and can be pulled up wheh you need it to be used with everything else. Is that right?

I use MYOB all day long for my job and access is needed within the context of everything else required so cannot be jumping between operating systems or tasks requiring MYOB vs task requiring other programs.

I am contemplating moving across to Xero but woud really prefer a computer based product so am still looking at our options.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

Hey @mpiat how are you finding Manager.io now you have used for a few months?

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

7Posts

10Kudos

0Solutions

@SN90210 wrote:

Hi @norton ,

When Parrallels is up and running... do you have to switch between the two operating systems... i.e  say you have your emails and Word, Excel etc. on Catalina and then MYOB on the Mojave through Parallels... can you work these various functions together at the same time or do you have to stop and transfer to the other op system? I'm not sure how it works. You mention it can be as an APP within Catalina... so then this suggests it will sit in the background and can be pulled up wheh you need it to be used with everything else. Is that right?

I use MYOB all day long for my job and access is needed within the context of everything else required so cannot be jumping between operating systems or tasks requiring MYOB vs task requiring other programs.

If you are currently running your e-mail, Word, Excel and MYOB AccountEdge, then you are already switching between apps. If you like Mojave (macOS 10.14), but your new Mac only runs Catalina (macOS 10.15), I guess there's no reason you couldn't just run everything (all apps) inside a Mojave Virtual Machine.

When running a Virtual Machine, you could run it in full screen mode so the entire Mac looks like it's just running whatever the Virtual Machine is running. Parallels offer a mode to "hide" the operating system part, so the app functions just like another Mac app. This works best with Windows apps however. I am not sure what this mode would look like when running a macOS virtual machine, but there may be ways to hide things like the menu bar. I really don't know. You can however, try it with a free trial from Parallels. Here's how to install it:

https://kb.parallels.com/en/124786

Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
18 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

18Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

replying to @SN90210 

I actually love using Manager. After 20+ years of MYOB, Manager is an impressive alternative for our 8 entities. Case in point, my son is a builder who started his own business last year in Brisbane. He struggled to get his head around MYOB so I moved him to Manager, now he "gets it". 

Payroll is the only area that needs improvements (they are working on it) fine for a handfull of employees but not so great if you have more.

Happy to answer any other questions about this alternative. I use the free local version but there is a cloud version that has a fairly reasonable monthly fee. Also runs on Windows as well as Mac.

Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
18 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

18Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @jce123  I have just been informed by MYOB that they are set to release an online version of Account Right soon (was supposed to be May2020) so is coming hopefully by August 2020 which will mean Mac users can use Account Right via web intead of needing Windows. Is not ideal but may resolve for some people who need the extra functions like job costing etc. with the online program (when Essentials doesn't cut it)

So there may be some light at the end of the 'Mac user' tunnel.

Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
40 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

40Posts

20Kudos

1Solutions

Thank you for that, do you happen to know if there will be away to convert from accountedge to Accountright?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post