Financing insurance

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
SMM
Experienced Cover User
144 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

144Posts

17Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Financing insurance

Hi We financed our PI insurance last year. I have a question re the unexpired interest account please. Premium paid was $25,650 + gst (plus prof fees ad stamp duty), totalling $30,010 incl GST I set up the assets and liab accounts, entered the purchase applying GST where relevant and paid for the purchase with the newly created Finance/loan account (set up as a credit card/bank) Unexpired interest was $2,217.91 so total funded amount was $32,228.68, I created this account and transferred the amount of $2,217.91 from the Loan account to the unexpired interest account. Repayment were made monthly for 11 months at $2,929.88 per month and set up to reduce the funding liability account. Monthly journals were created to take up the insurance expense and reduce the Prepaid insurance asset account. From reading various MYOB posts it seems that after the 11th repayment any amount on the loan accountshoucd equal the balance of the unexpired interest account but in the opposite direction, and payment from the loan account to the unexpired interest account should zero both. This is not the case, my loan account has been cleared by the repayments but the the unexpired interest account is showing a negative balance of $2,217.91. Have I treated the unexpired interest incorrectly in the setup? Should this amount have been included in the original purchase? I'd be very grateful for any advice Thanks S
4 REPLIES 4
SMM
Experienced Cover User
144 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

144Posts

17Kudos

0Solutions

Dealing with unexpired interest when financing

I'm posting this again as I've had no response, I've been trawling feeds, anyone? We financed our PI insurance last year. I have a question re the unexpired interest account please. Premium paid was $25,650 + gst (plus prof fees ad stamp duty), totalling $30,010 incl GST. I set up the assets and liab accounts, entered the purchase applying GST where relevant and paid for the purchase with the newly created Finance/loan account (set up as a credit card/bank). Unexpired interest was $2,217.91 so total funded amount was $32,228.68, I created this account and transferred the amount of $2,217.91 from the Loan account to the unexpired interest account. Repayments were made monthly for 11 months at $2,929.88 per month and set up to reduce the funding liability account. Monthly journals were created to take up the insurance expense and reduce the Prepaid insurance asset account. From reading various MYOB posts it seems that after the 11th repayment any amount on the loan accountshoucd equal the balance of the unexpired interest account but in the opposite direction, and payment from the loan account to the unexpired interest account should zero both. This is not the case, my loan account has been cleared by the repayments but the the unexpired interest account is showing a negative balance of $2,217.91. Have I treated the unexpired interest incorrectly in the setup? I'd be very grateful for any advice Thanks S
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: Financing insurance

Hi @SMM

I would recommend speaking to an accountant in regards to the transactions that you have recorded. The accounts, amounts and tax codes involved in those transactions should be reviewed. 

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

GDay53
Ultimate Partner
2,594 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

2,594Posts

1,040Kudos

569Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Financing insurance

@SMM

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

Have a read of the attached Bank Loan and Chattel Mortgage document.

It talks about how to set up a Bank Loan for a motor vehicle and record the Interest and the payments.

Yes it is for a motor vehicle, but the principle is the same for all loans and a loan for funding insurance is treated the same way.

Do a Journal for the original purchase and include everthing in this journal.

Then do Spend Money for the payment recording the Interest as a positive and a negative - this effectively moves the interest from the Liability to the Other Expense account.

Hope this helps.

If my response to your query and has helped, please mark my post as a solution to help others in the future.
Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
Gralord Enterprises Pty Ltd
Mobile: 0402 841 627
graemeday@optusnet.com.au
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner
SMM
Experienced Cover User
144 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia