GST Paid doesn't match Balance Sheet

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
SMM
Experienced Cover User
144 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

144Posts

17Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

GST Paid doesn't match Balance Sheet

Hi My GST Paid report (cash) report is different to my Balance Sheet figure as at 30.6.18. It's a small difference of $12.08 There is no tax on outstanding creditors - everything is paid via Spend $ Previous periods BAS payments have been properly accounted for. Can anyone shed any light on this please? Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: GST Paid doesn't match Balance Sheet

Hi @SMM

You mentioned that the GST report you are using is a cash-based report, the Balance Sheet report is an accrual-based report. As these are two different accounting methods you are likely going to find a difference in values as it is like you are comparing apples and oranges.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

SMM
Experienced Cover User
144 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

144Posts

17Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Steven. I'm aware of that. As I said though, we only use spend Money to pay bills. So the 2 figures should match.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @SMM

So, in theory, assuming all transactions were recorded as Spend Money transactions (which record the payment at the time of recording the transaction) you could run the General Ledger Detail report for that particular account. You could compare this with the GST [Detail - Cash] for the same period and identify transactions that are not recorded in the General Ledger Detail report that are in the GST Detail report or vice versa.

Although, it should be noted that you are comparing an accrual basis and a cash basis reports so you are comparing two different accounting method based report. As such other considerations do need to be taken into account for example transactions recorded outside of the period that are impacting the account balance.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

SMM
Experienced Cover User
144 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

144Posts

17Kudos