Purchases (Cost of Sales) or Accounts Payable (Liability)

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
karly
1 Post
User
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Purchases (Cost of Sales) or Accounts Payable (Liability)

Hi there

I am just trying to figure out what is the correct account type to use for certain payments I make.

I run an event management business and for some clients, I invoice them for the full cost of the event and then I am responsible for paying out all suppliers engaged to run the event - venue, entertainment, florist etc. 

I am not sure whether for supplier payments I should be using Purchases - Cost of Sales as the account or alternatively Accounts Payable. 

Could someone explain to me?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Re: Purchases (Cost of Sales) or Accounts Payable (Liability)

Hi @karly 

Thanks for your post.

Cost of Sales are the direct costs relating to the goods/services you provide to your customers. 

Expenses are the running costs of your business, eg, phones, subscriptions, fees.

Liabilities are amounts that your business owes.

When you record a Create bill transaction the amount is automatically posted to the Accounts Payable liability account as this is money the business owes to the supplier. You would select the applicable cost of sales/expense account in the Account allocation field. In accounting, a credit increases a liability and a debit increases a cost of sales/expense account. You can see from the journal created when recording a Bill that both the liability and cost of sale are increased:

image.png

When you record the Create supplier payment transaction the Accounts payable liability account is debited, which reduces the liability as this amount is now paid. The bank account is credited which appears as a withdrawal to be matched with the bank transaction:

image.png

If you use Items, you would select the applicable cost of sales and expense accounts when creating the Item. The software will automatically record the journal posted to the selected accounts. 

I hope that clarifies it for you. Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

DuncanS
Ultimate Partner
1,924 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,924Posts

549Kudos

168Solutions

Re: Purchases (Cost of Sales) or Accounts Payable (Liability)

@karly @Tracey_H 

I would set up a Cost of Sales Ledger called Event Costs.

You could have a header Event Costs then list by nature.

Some businesses keep a Payables Ledger, others do not.

If paying a bill previously entered into MYOB, use Payables.

Duncan

Duncan Smith
Business Advice + Tax
Helping business owners build a better business since 1998
E duncan@businessadvicetax.com.au T 02 9904 3672 7 days

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post