Share your ideas for improving MYOB Business. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Setup: Ability to use Jobs

Partner

5Posts

259Kudos

0Solutions

5 Posts
Partner
Australia

Several of our clients have multiple rental properties and we need to dissect the various properties.  Essentials would be an ideal tool for this, but we don't seem to be able to segregate transactions - not worth the additional expense to use Account Right level of product - jobs would be ideal

"Essentials - ability to use Jobs"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: September 2021

Hi Everyone

Jobs has been introduced to the MYOB Essentials platform.

Note: This change is available for the new MYOB Essentials platform. Existing (original) MYOB Essentials platform users will be migrated across to the new platform in due course based on the complexity of their MYOB Essentials product level. At the time of posting, migrations are already underway.

137 Comments
autobook
Experienced Cover User
27 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I have a variety of clients in mixed industries, some are trades, builders, rental management, etc.

Each has different problems which would be solved with a Jobs category, particularly for cost management and affiliating jobs to clients, etc.

There are many benefits including project controls, property management data, etc.

Personally I feel the name 'Jobs' is fine as it is recognisable to anyone who is familiar with the application of it in AccountRight and it does describe what it's for.

I am a BAS Agent by my clients are in various industries, as outlined above.

I hope this becomes part of Essentials as I have a client who uses QB and has been asking for years if Essentials has adapted it yet.

Cheers...   Nick

amandaJ1
1 Post
User

The jobs feature needs to function like it does in Account Right/Edge - the ability to allocate a job on each line entry, and prepare reports based on the jobs.

Essentials is unfortunately useless to me without this feature. This is probably the most "essential" feature I need in an accounting program.

I work for clients in the Arts/Entertainment Industry and they have multiple projects with funding from different sources that need to be separately accounted for and reported on.

Is there a time frame on the introduction of this?

CTF
Experienced Cover User
55 Posts
Experienced Cover User

What problem are you solving with this feature?

Tracking expenses for a particular job.

What are the main benefits to this feature

It will benefit the true costs to deliver a service which ultimately affect a business’ gross margin.  It will also assist in putting a price on a proposal.

Do you think Jobs is a universally understood name

No most probably not.  Job expense tracking makes sense

What industry are you in

Building Industry running own Electrical business

Other

Why point MYOB Essential users to an “add on app” which is an additional cost per user and covers the whole processing of invoices not just job costing.  Add job costing to MYOB Essentials and if we need to pay an additional cost, so be it.  One other solution I was told by MYOB is to move to Account Right yet there is no software migration offered by MYOB.

manning
Partner
120 Posts
Partner
  1. What problem are you solving with this feature? being able to do a P&L on a job, job expense tracking, including wage expenses
  2. What are the main benefits to this feature? being able to ensure that a client is not under quoting, make sure the client is profitable
  3. Do you think Jobs is a universally understood name or is there a better term we could be using? Job expense tracking, job tracking, 
  4. What industry are you in; I'm a bookkeeper but my clients would like it to track building P&L /expenses & another client would like to track tour P&L / expenese,  My non for profit clients would require it for reporting to track grant funding.
  5. Other; I have a client that wants to change from Essentials to AR Live but there is no migration to do this so they havent as yet.  They may do the change in the new financial year.
slowshuffler
Contributing Cover User
9 Posts
Contributing Cover User

1. We need to be able to have a job amount to apply for HOW.

2. Being able to see profit and loss for individual jobs and income only for insurance purposes for particular jobs.

3. I think jobs is a universally understood name.

4. Building

Cracker60
3 Posts
Cover User

Hi Suja,

In answer to your questions:

I'm a clinical psychologist and I take contracts,referrals to perform services by a set number of appointments or a set amount of money. I would love to set up a job for each contract then track each session and/or each invoice charged to the organisation. I need the option to track things like: organisation name, address, phone number; case manager name,  phone number and email; client/employee name, address, email, phone number; case number; injury date; referrers name, provider number, address, phone number and email. 

ShannonHodgetts
1 Post
User

Has there been any further developments in adding Jobs to Essentials?

I just moved from PC to Mac and therefore had no choice than to migrate to Essentials from AccountRight. There's so much I'm missing from AR including Jobs. I'm going to have to pay for an add-on because it's so important for running a Construction business.

Isn't there supposed to be a new version of Essentials which will take over current Essentials and AR?

I'm not loving Essentials at all, it has doubled my workload overnight.

Daftreasurer
3 Posts
User

The ability to create jobs inMYOB essentials appears to have been discussed since 2017 with no progress. WTF?? I upgraded recently from anold version of AccountRight. Im inclined to go back to that one or find a different vendor that is a bit more reactive to the needs of clients. Come on MYOB - lift your game.

BWProAdvice
Contributing Partner
30 Posts
Contributing Partner

This feature is now available in New Essentials - should it be marked as complete?

Cracker60
3 Posts
Cover User

In response to Suja Pillai,

1. Managing in budgets, services and expenses of multiple contract cases

2. Tracking services and expenses to their associated contract

3. I prefer the term "Project" or "Contract", but "Jobs" is fine

4. Psychological services: clinical, forensic and organisational 

The feature would need to let us customise fields. For example, I would need to create fields for "Case Manager", "Case Number", "Date of Injury", for one type of job and "Plan Number", "Plan Date" and "Funded Amount" for another type of job. It would be most useful to let us set up a template for each type of job that we deal with. For example, a template for a clinical contract would be created to have different fields than a forensic template. Let us break a template with custom fields and let us name and save it.