Share your ideas for improving MYOB Business. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Setup: Additional tax codes

Contributing Cover User

12Posts

64Kudos

0Solutions

12 Posts
Contributing Cover User

I would like to be able to add more tax codes to the basic ones available in MYOB Essentials.

Dulcie Bridges

Bridges' Bookkeeping

Bunbury, WA

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: July 2022

Hi Everyone

MYOB Essentials allows users to create their own tax codes through Accounting >> Tax codes OR GST codes.

Check out  Tax codes (Australia) | GST codes (New Zealand) for more information on this change.

32 Comments
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @DulcieBridges

Thank you for your feedback in regards to MYOB Essentials and the tax codes available

MYOB Essentials is designed to be a simple accounting program and as such doesn't contain a complex list of tax codes. However in saying that you would mind going in more detail about the types of tax codes that you would like to see added.

JimHammer
1 Post
Cover User

Is it possible to add A GST code to Essentials that takes account of the ATO GST Rate on long term accommodation.

Nearly all providers in the accommodation industry need this rate to account for stays of longer than 27 nights.  Essentials at present does not therfore meet the needs of this sector.

Thanks

Madcap
Trusted Cover User
36 Posts
Trusted Cover User

We need a PRI code in essential

Freshpowder
1 Post
User

I purchased MYOB Essentials to handle the accounting for my business in Japan. In Japan they have a Consumption Tax of 8% instead of 10%. It would be extremely helpful and would make your product more desirable world wide if you were able to:

1. Rename the GST (ie. rename as CT) on invoices.

2. Allow a different percentage of tax to be calculated.

3. Change the $ symbol default to another currency symbol

I purchased MYOB to automate my business accounting but not having the 3 items above means that I have to manually send my invoice rather than use MYOB Essentials.

Spicegirly72
1 Post
Cover User

How does a sole trader account for withholding tax on their invoices which will be deducted by the client?

SusanGreen
Partner
1 Post
Partner

I would like to be able to add more tax codes to the basic ones available in MYOB Essentials.

Sparkylamoore
8 Posts
Cover User

Yet another ridculous limitaion on Myob essentials, the inabilty to add differant tax codes. My compnay imports good, and as such we have the 100% GST duty tax to be paid and claimed, essentials does not let me add this, so how on earth do I claim it?

Also I started the original feed of not being able to allocate money to differant job lots, this is a BASIC !!!! bookeeping function, to be able to work out a P & L on jobs. This has not been adressed in years, I am seroiusly thinking of going through the hassle of changing to a differant online system. I am also thinking of getting a specific face book page to drive bussiness away from MYOB essentials due to the apalling lack of interest from the company in adressing these simple issues. So my original question, how do I enter in the 100% GST tax on my goods ???? I am beyong frustrated with MYOB, essentials is not a cheap monthly program, and it is insane that these basic functions are not present.

EssentialsDave
1 Post
Cover User

I'm new to both MYOB and accounting.

I have purchased a vehicle through my business from an individual, not registered for GST and, as such would like to allocate to Capital acquisitions that have no GST (yes, I am reading Bookkkeeping Essentials for Dummies). It appears the code CGF has been removed since this book was published, yet the ability to add codes hasn't replaced it? So in fact we have less now than in 2014.

I have to agree with most comments I see on MYOB forums, the support for this software is subpar. So many simple improvements that could be made, yet are ignored.

Kazian
Partner
2 Posts
Partner

As a tax agent I often use a private GST code especially for sole traders and partnerships.  In previous versions of MYOB including business basics it was possible to create a GST Private code which would allocate the GST private portion to owners drawings.  Can MYOB create a PRV code in MYOB Essentials that will allocate 10% i.e. the GST of the amount entered with PRV to owners drawings and then the remainder of the amount to an expense account so that three entries aren't required for every expense with a private portion only two?

Alpa
1 Post
User

Hi

Would be good to keep GST on income and GST on expenses seperate or at least to be correct in the GST return in MYOB essentials.  Just found an instance were an expense refund was put to sales in the GST return when it really should have been netted off expenses.