Pay Run Reversal gone wrong - Overstated STP Numbers

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
AndreeL
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Pay Run Reversal gone wrong - Overstated STP Numbers

Dear all,

I did an incorrect pay run and can't seem to dig myself out of the hole (Note to self: Never do pay runs when tired and in a hurry!), so would much appreciate your help:

I by mistake recorded leave in the wrong period, reversed and then re-ran, this tine with the wrong payment date. (I know, stupid.) I've worked through the reversals, including a reversal of a reversal.

The problem is that STP Reporting is overstated by what appears to be 2 months worth of payroll. In Payroll>Employees>{employee in question}>Payroll details>Pay history, I can see that rather than 1 month worth of pay there are 3 for Nov including the wrong leave. Also, report Payroll>Pay runs>View pay run history shows the same overstated figures in the YTD column.

However - and this what really puzzles me - the totals shown at the bottom of report Payroll>Pay runs>View pay run history are actually correct, so the YTD numbers and the totals at the bottom are not consistent in that report. Also, the financial balances are actually correct (Trial Balance and P&L).

The inconsistencies between finance and pay roll/STP plus the inconsistency within report Payroll>Pay runs>View pay run history make me wonder whether there is a system bug in play that I triggered through my pay runs and reversals. At any rate, I seem completely stuck as fixing the pay run/STP numbers would lead to wrong numbers in finance.

So, your help would be really greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much & all the best,

Andree

5 REPLIES 5
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Re: Pay Run Reversal gone wrong - Overstated STP Numbers

Hi @AndreeL 

Thanks for your post. The Payroll activity and financial reports get their data from pays processed through Create pay run. The Payroll register report and STP reports get their data from the employee card>>Pay history. So the first step I'd recommend to get to the bottom of this is run the Payroll activity and Payroll register reports for the YTD.

With STP, each report overrides the previous one and updates the YTD amounts. If the Payroll activity and Payroll register reports are the same, go to the STP reporting centre>>Reports tab>>click on the report for the most recent report sent>>click on View employee YTD report and make sure the YTD amounts in this report match the activity and register reports.

If the Payroll activity and Payroll register reports are different it means that a manual change has been made to the employee card>>Pay history. In this situation, you need to change the Pay history back to what it should be and process any changes through Create pay run.

Let me know how you go with this.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

AndreeL
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you very much, Tracey,

For your reply. Apologies, if I did not express myself propely.

What I was trying to say is that Payroll>Employees>{employee in question}>Payroll details>Pay history and the latest STP report are consistent. However, the overstate the total payroll amount by 2 months.

I have not made any manual changes, only done pay runs and reversals. The accounting numbers are correct. The pay roll / STP numbers are not.

Also, totals shown at the bottom of report Payroll>Pay runs>View pay run history are correct, whereas the numbers in the YTD column are overstated and consistent with STP.

I can pin point the reversal where the overstating occurred - it's the reversal of a previous reversal.

All that said, are you saying that I should enter the corredt numbers for the affected employee for Nov into Payroll>Employees>{employee in question}>Payroll details>Pay history and then do another pay run? I've done the Nov pay run already, so I can;t really do another one. However, I had manually changed Payroll>Employees>{employee in question}>Payroll details>Pay history for the affected employee for Nov to all zero dollars to reflect that in fact Nov payroll hadn't occurred. But after Nov payrun they again did not reflect the Nov figures but basically 3 months worth of pay roll.

I hope this makes sense. Would you be able to advise based on this?

Thanks a bundle again & all the best,

Andree

AndreeL
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi all,

Just in case anyone else experiences the same problem, here is how I ended up rectifying it (based on @Tracey_H 's reply - thank you! However, it's a bit different.):

• Go to Payroll>Employees>{employee(s) in question}>Payroll details>Pay history and the month in question, correct all the numbers and save changes.
  • Go to Payroll>Single Touch Payroll reporting and hit the Send update event button.
  • A new entry in the list of STP events appears.
  • Check that the corresponding Employee YTD report shows the correct numbers.
  • Wait for the event to be accepted by the ATO.

Cheers,

Andree

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @AndreeL 

Great to hear that you were able to resolve this. Once you've correct the employee card>>Pay history sending an update event updates the YTD amounts in STP. The other option is to wait until you process the next pay run when the YTD amounts will be automatically updated.

Please don't hesitate to post again if you need help in the future.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

AndreeL
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you Tracey,

Yeah, I had considered to wait until Dec payroll, but then PAYG-W for Nov would have been way high. That's why I sent the update event.

Cheers,

Andree

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post