5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Inconsistency in Essentials sequencial numbers

Hi, I am having issues with the new Essential upgrade. 

It seems that it has a hiccup with folio numbers and keeping track of what number was used last. 

If I am spending money from my Cheque account for example ... it goes in sequence, but then if I go to spend money from Petty cash, it starts on a different number altogether and duplicates folio numbers all over the place. 

Has anyone else found a solution to this?

I also have issues with converting from a quote to an invoice, again, it duplicates and doesn't keep numbers in order as if I've just added a new invoice without producing it from a quote.

I never got this issue on the previous version. I really dislike this new un-user-friendly version. 

There is also a messy little thing that happens when you are trying to view all invoices where again, it's not displaying it sequentially, but rather it groups them together in days and puts the invoices in the order in days. What a mess to try to view. 

Any one found this too?

I am losing patience with it as I'm spending so much time going back over stuff to check and double-check.

I really don't trust the system and the old one was tick and flick - done. 

Yesterday I had to undo a whole year of reconciliation because I wasn't informed of the upgrade so couldn't complete reconciliations, which were all thrown out.

It's a nightmare.

Kind regards Kim

16 REPLIES 16
Yanike_S
MYOB Moderator
2,585 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,585Posts

149Kudos

378Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Inconsistency in Essentials sequencial numbers

Hi @Kimmy55 

I am sorry to hear you are not happy with the upgraded Essentials. I can clarify a few things for you and hopefully you will start liking the new program once you are used to the changes!

The spending money transaction number is assigned based on the account as opposed to a single unified numbering sequence. You can see all your transactions under Banking>>Find transactions filtering by source journal and or account.

When you convert a quote to an invoice it will choose the next available invoice number in the line. If you want to see your associated invoice you can go into the quote and select the invoice link in the Activity history.

If you want to view all invoices, you go to Sales>>Invoices. You can then sort your invoices by Issue date, Invoice no, Customer, etc.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Kind regards,
Yanike

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Kimmy55
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

Thankyou Yanike

I understand all that you have said here, I have found my way around the upgrade, but I still do not enjoy the new MYOB. I no longer trust the system because I need to go into too many things to 'find out' how it has been accounted for in the program. 

As a small business filing by purchases in folio number order worked. Now I have to change to accommodate different bank accounts so that I don't get mixed up. 

Before the upgrade was easy to use, see and feel confident in, this is hard work and messy Smiley Sad 

H_Design
Experienced User
25 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

25Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Yanike_S  

@Yanike_S wrote:

If you want to view all invoices, you go to Sales>>Invoices. You can then sort your invoices by Issue date, Invoice no, Customer, etc.

Regarding your comment "If you want to view all invoices, you go to Sales>>Invoices. You can then sort your invoices by Issue date, Invoice no, Customer, etc." 

The problem is that when you create a quote and then some invoices and then a quote and then convert a quote......the numbers (unless manually changed) will be sequencial for all the operations you did, one after the other....BUT you can NOT view all those numbers that have been allocated to each operation, be it quote, invoice or convert to inv, in one list in sequencial order. 

HOW DO YOU SEE ALL THE NUMBERS IN ONE LIST. In Account Edge Basic, there was a header SALES REGISTER and all the quotes and invoices could be listed in one list as ALL SALES and the "Status" changed from quote to open and then closed, BUT ALL LISTED sequencialy. PLEASE ALLOW THIS so we can see duplication.

Yanike_S
MYOB Moderator
2,585 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,585Posts

149Kudos

378Solutions

Hi @H_Design 

Thanks for your additional information. As I mentioned before, when you convert a quote to an invoice it will choose the next available invoice number in the line. If you want to see your associated invoice you should go into the quote and select the invoice link in the Activity history. If you would want to see quotes and invoices in sequence, you could look at running the Customer sales (detail) report and select All sales under Sale status. If you want to customise this report more, you can look at exporting this to excel.

Kind regards,
Yanike

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Kimmy55
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

On further investigation, the problem I have found is that when an invoice is paid and therefore closed, MYOB will then use that number again! 

I'm not sure why it does this but it's a right pain and it's not something that's easy to spot. 

H_Design
Experienced User
25 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

25Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

IN REPLY TO:

"look at running the Customer sales (detail) report" - CUSTOMER SALES REPORT IN ESSENTIAL LITE DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO SORT BY INVOICE, EVEN WHEN EXPAND ALL IS USED AND SO YOU CANNOT SEE ALL REFERENCE NUMBERS IN A SIMPLE LIST TO IDENTIFY DUPLICATION.

"you can look at exporting this to excel" - BUT WHEN IT IS EXPORTED, THE FORMAT OF THE CELLS IS NOT SIMPLIFIED TO 1 ROW PER CUSTOMER TO ALLOW SORTING ASSENDING. EACH CUSTOMER IS GROUPED IN SETS OF 3 ROWS......YOU TRY AND SORT IT!!!

PLEASE GO AND LOOK AT WHAT I AM SAYING BECAUSE I KEEP GETTING THE SAME REPLY WORDED DIFFERENTLY..........ALL I WANT IS 1 LIST OF ALL ALLOCATED REFERENCE NUMBERS AND THE STATUS OF INVOICE OR QUOTE TO CHECK FOR DUPLICATION.

Yanike_S
MYOB Moderator
2,585 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,585Posts

149Kudos

378Solutions

Hi @Kimmy55 

Even when invoices are paid and closed the software will automatically generate a sequential number based on the last number you used. Make sure you have not manually adjusted the invoice number as this could overwrite previous numbering - the software will pick the first sequential number that is not used, based on the previous number. If you are still having issues with this, could you please explain the exact steps you are taking to create the double number and ideally upload some screenshots so I can investigate this further?

Kind regards,
Yanike

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

TC1808
Experienced User
39 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

39Posts

32Kudos

0Solutions

"When you convert a quote to an invoice it will choose the next available invoice number in the line" this is not happening - we have to now keep track of the last invoice number issued as we have to change it every time. Very annoying and time consuming!!
Kizzaaa
5 Posts
Cover User
Cover User

5Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Im getting the same issue. There shouldnt be anything complicated to explain the steps Im doing. 4 quotes I created (without checking - my bad under the assumption the system was as per the previous MYOB Ive been using for years) and now they have numbers that should be invoices. My quotes were in the 200s but invoices in the 4000's not even close to each other. MYOB is supposed to make running my business easier but Im spending as much time on figuring the system out as I am designing actual projects to invoice.

@TC1808 wrote:
"When you convert a quote to an invoice it will choose the next available invoice number in the line" this is not happening - we have to now keep track of the last invoice number issued as we have to change it every time. Very annoying and time consuming!!

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post