Balance Sheet reporting of GST balances

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Bean_Counter
Experienced Cover User
27 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

27Posts

1Kudos

1Solutions

Balance Sheet reporting of GST balances

My client is an NFP charity which invariably receives refunds of GST each reporting period because GST paid on purchases always exceeds GST collected on revenues. I want to report "GST Recoverable - net" as a current asset, not as a negative liability. How can I achieve this? Is there a linked account that can be changed?
1 REPLY 1
CloverQ
9,085 Posts
Former Staff
Australia
Former Staff

9,085Posts

0Kudos

1,386Solutions

Re: Balance Sheet reporting of GST balances

Hi @Bean_Counter 

Typically any refunds from ATO is recorded manually with the relevant allocation accounts, there isn't a linked account setting for receiving ATO refunds. Please find the detailed instructions on recording the refund from this Help article: Recording ATO payments and credits (Australia).

GST collected and paid are tracked using liability accounts, we do recommend checking with your accountant or ATO whether the GST refunds can be treated as an asset. If yes, an asset account can be created and used to record the ATO credits into, general journal entries can also be used to move balance across. 

Kind regards,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search|Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post