Processing Credit Notes

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
asddrgd21
Experienced Cover User
15 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

15Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Processing Credit Notes

We have a supplier that we have a 60 day account with (so I will be paying our February bills from them at the end of April). They have recently issued us with a number of credit notes, due to overcharging (across 16 invoices from the past several months). These credit notes are all dated March, which is when they were issued.

My question is, should I wait to process these with the March bills, or can I process them against the February bills? What is the best accountancy practise in this sitaution?

3 REPLIES 3
LRBooks61
Ultimate Cover User
1,054 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

1,054Posts

214Kudos

124Solutions

Re: Processing Credit Notes

Hi

six of one half a dozen of another really.

so long as you send a remittance to the supplier if you take up the credits so they can reconcile. I can't see that it makes a world of difference either way

Lisa

LRBooks61
Ultimate Cover User
1,054 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

1,054Posts

214Kudos

124Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

On reflection I think that as best practice you should apply the credits to the relevant invoices and any invoices that have been paid you should apply those credits with your next payment

You can apply the credits to the open relevant invoice through either settle returns of pay bills ( it brings up a warning saying you have credits and asking how you want to apply them) so you can apply the individual credit to the relevant invoice and any other credits that the invoices have been paid you can take from the next payment

Hope that makes sense

Lisa

asddrgd21
Experienced Cover User
15 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

15Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions