Recording company income tax liability

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
jonesty
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Recording company income tax liability

Hi, my accountant recently completed my company tax return and advised me it was now safe to roll over the financial year, which I've done. However, I can see that the tax liability hasn't been recorded anywhere yet and when I attempt to create a General Journal entry for it (dated 30/6/2022), MYOB warns me about creating an entry for a previous financial year. Can somebody please advise me on how to proceed with this?

3 REPLIES 3
CloverQ
9,085 Posts
Former Staff
Australia
Former Staff

9,085Posts

0Kudos

1,386Solutions

Re: Recording company income tax liability

Hi @jonesty 

In the new Essentials/MYOB Business you can still enter transactions in the previous financial year if needed, provided that the dates are not locked. 

Typically a financial year should only be rolled over when everything's finalised, which is done via these End of period tasks.  If everything balanced out when you rolled over the financial year, please do double check if the tax liability is already recorded somewhere, maybe in a different transaction type.  I'd suggest verifying it with your accountant before entering transactions in the previous financial year.

Kind regards,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search|Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

jonesty
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Hi @CloverQ,

Thanks for your reply. I spoke with my accountant today and he confirmed he forgot to record it. I've instead now created a general journal entry for 1/7 to debit Retained Earnings and credit Income Tax Payable, which I suppose has the same effect on the company's current position.

Out of curiousity, if I had recorded the liability against last FY (post rollover) as you said is possible, would the Retained Earnings have been re-calculated accordingly?

Cheers.

CloverQ
9,085 Posts
Former Staff
Australia
Former Staff

9,085Posts

0Kudos

1,386Solutions

Hi @jonesty 

Apologies for the delayed response.

The Retained Earnings is affected by the Net earning/loss of the year, so if you record a journal posting to any of the Profit & Loss report accounts, the retained earnings will change then. 

Again, we do recommend confirming with your accountant before recording any adjustment journal entries. 

Kind regards,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search|Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post