2FA problems

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Experienced Cover User heimdal
15 Posts
Experienced Cover User
heimdal
Experienced Cover User

15Posts

3Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

2FA problems

Tonight my 2FA stopped working, it stopped recognising my codes from Google Authenticator. This has worked since 2FA was introduced. After using backup codes, removing 2FA and then renabling them, I was asked to re-add them to google authenicator. I did this but again it rejected the codes. This implies the issue is with the 2FA mechanism. Any suggestions? I can't constantly use backup codes to enter. 

7 REPLIES 7
MYOB Product Team Haydes
2,000 Posts
MYOB Product Team
Australia
Haydes
MYOB Product Team

6163Posts

1000Kudos

877Solutions

Re: 2FA problems

Hi @heimdal 

From the sounds of things, you're getting to the point of setting up the Authenticator app and when you say "It rejected the codes", could you elaborate this bit for me?

Such as was the set up successful, but the codes generated are not being accepted? And if so, what kind of message is popping up here?

Cheers,

Hayden (Ex-Moderator)
MYOB Product Team
15 Posts
Experienced Cover User
heimdal
Experienced Cover User

15Posts

3Kudos

1Solutions

Hi Hayden,

I get the message:

You've entered the wrong authentication code, it has expired, or it has already been used. How do I fix this?

I would guess the app on my phone and the web site are out of sync. I deleted if from the authenticator. Then went through the process again, scanned the barcode then entered the code and was told they didn't match. Tried the next code without success. Means that I need to use a backup code each time to long in, including for this forum.

MYOB Moderator CloverQ
2,000 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
CloverQ
MYOB Moderator

7093Posts

497Kudos

1124Solutions

Hi @heimdal 

Sorry to hear the problem still exists. 

There are a few causes that could throw this error, from what you described the likely cause here is the time on your phone and computer are out of sync. 

To troubleshoot this, please find the instructions on this Help page: Getting help with two-factor authentication

I hope this helps. Please do let us know how you go. 

Cheers,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

15 Posts
Experienced Cover User
heimdal
Experienced Cover User

15Posts

3Kudos

1Solutions

I have done the following things to try a rectify this issue, without success:

1. Ensured my PC is using network time.

2. Ensured my phone is using network time.

3. Syched google authenticator, to be told is was already syched.

4. I have tried multiple computers.

5. I have tried multiple browsers. 

I then tried the authenticator on another older phone, that is not running the latest android version, and it worked. So I am guessing MYOB doesn't work with the new version of android, while the other apps in my authenicator do.

MYOB Moderator Neil_M
2,000 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

11642Posts

1357Kudos

1634Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

HI @heimdal 

Whilst I can’t speak for how other services use the Google Authenticator, the 2FA codes used by MYOB are designed to be generated by a single device. If you had setup multiple devices to generate the code, only the last device to be setup and verified would be generating recognized codes.

If you were wanting to swap from one device to another I recommend following the steps on our help article Switching your two-factor authentication device. This article steps through how to switch the authentication from one device to another. In addition if you needed your 2FA account reset for any reason this can be done through our phone support team on 1300 555 123

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

15 Posts
Experienced Cover User
heimdal
Experienced Cover User

15Posts

3Kudos

1Solutions

Hi Neil,

I have fixed the issue, I have always run the 2FA on two devices, without a drama. My main device was upgrade to Android 9 a month or so back.  I tracked down my Android 8 device and found that the codes for all the application were the same for both devices, except for MYOB. The Android 8 device codes still work, while the Android 9 codes don't. I will have a look at switching the codes. Though I am a little worried that the codes were working until I upgraded my device, so wondering if transferring them to Android 9 may result in me having no workable codes. Will let you know.

15 Posts
Experienced Cover User
heimdal
Experienced Cover User

15Posts

3Kudos

1Solutions

Hi Neil,

After login I have removed the codes from my Android 8 and my Android 9 device. I have then used the switch devices and add the codes to my Android 9 device. It worked, thanks for your help. I was using both devices without a problem for months and only stopped using my Android 8 device a couple of weeks back, though have logged in using my Android 9 device numerous times since then. Kind of curious it only stopped working on Friday

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post