Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

A glitch preventing allocation

Hi MYOB,

There's something going on with your software. When I try to allocate transactions from my bank feed, I get the error message as below:

Please fix the following problem(s):
  • Reference: must be alphanumeric

Can you please make this go away as soon as possible? I need to do my books. 

Cheers.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
3,415 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,415Posts

545Kudos

518Solutions

Re: A glitch preventing allocation

Hi @Dingley 

Thanks for your post. The error message that you are receiving is typically generated when the last transaction entered had an alpha or special character at the end of the reference number. This means Essentials can't add the next number in the sequence.

To fix this you will need to create a new receive / spend money / create invoice > receive payment / create bill > pay bill depending on the type of transaction you are trying to allocate. Enter all the information and enter a reference number higher than what you have used. This should 'reset' the reference number in the back-end of Essentials.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for your reply. I did create (and deleted it afterwards) a "Spend money" for one of the unallocated transactions, and the error that was blocking my allocations to accounts indeed disappeared. So, yes, this worked as a solution although it seemed a very unlikely one. In fact, Sinead on Live Chat was proposing the same fix, but it made no sense to me and I refused to try it. It made no sense, because I needed to allocate an expense directly to an account, and what she was suggesting would be using the "Match transaction" method instead. It was (and still) unclear how using one method of allocation could resolve a problem with the other. But it did. Anyway, can you please pass my apologies to Sinead? She was right, it turns out, and I was wrong. Sorry, Sinead. By the way, there was no alphas or special characters in the previous references, so it's unclear why the error appeared.

Regards.

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
3,415 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,415Posts

545Kudos

518Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @Dingley 

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been resolved, thanks for letting me know and I have passed your message on to Sinead. I'll try to clarify why creating a spend money transaction has worked to resolve this for you. Allocating and matching transactions are basically two methods of getting the same result. 

If you have recorded a Spend Money transaction in Essentials, you would match that transaction with the bank transaction.

If you haven't recorded a Spend Money transaction you would allocate the bank transaction to the applicable account. When you allocate a transaction, Essentials automatically records the Spend Money transaction. 

Whichever method you use will result in the applicable transaction (Spend Money, Receive Money) recorded with the amount allocated to the applicable account. The Allocating method doesn't require you to manually record the transaction so it's quicker and easier.

So in your situation, the error was related to the Spend Money reference number when creating that transaction automatically by allocating a bank transaction. By manually creating a Spend Money transaction and changing the reference number you have reset the reference number sequence for all Spend Money transactions.

Hope this clarifies it for you. Please do let me know if you need further help.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Tracey,

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

How to mark it as a solution? I can't see where to click for that. 

I think I must have somehow marked my own post above as a solution (which it is not), but I don't recall how that happened.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post