Customer overpaid invoice

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Experienced Cover User
17 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

17Posts

1Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Customer overpaid invoice

Hi,

I have a customer that has overpaid an invoice (they have paid the invoice amount in three payments, the total of which is $4000 overpaid). I have followed the post below and my invoice is now 'closed'. 

https://community.myob.com/t5/MYOB-Essentials-Accounting/Customer-overpaid-invoice/m-p/354974#M10610

The payments from the customer are unallocated and I followed the instructions and... recorded the full payment against the invoice via Sales > Take Payments, the system would automatically create a customer return of the overpaid amount  You can then go to Sales > Process Customer Return > Refund to customer to issue the refund. 

However the problem i have is that now the invoice looks to be closed and i have the payments made by the customer sitting unallocated - how do i allocate them to the invoice?

Cheers,

Marsha

4 REPLIES 4
MYOB Moderator
38,352 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

38,352Posts

5,223Kudos

5,634Solutions

Re: Customer overpaid invoice

Hi @MarshaKronk 

It sounds like you need to go to Banking>>Bank transactions>>Navigate to the required bank transaction and select the Match option. Within here you can select the relevant transaction(s) that make up that bank transaction before selecting the Save option.

However, should you require further assistance with this topic do let us know. Knowing exactly what has occurred in real life would be handy. For example, has the customer paid multiple times for the same invoice i.e. 3 x $100 OR have they just overpaid it i.e. instead of $100 they have paid $150?

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Experienced Cover User
17 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

17Posts

1Kudos

1Solutions

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply…

I invoiced the customer for $53,717.17 and they paid ($20,000, $20,000 and $17,737.17) = $57,717.17

Which is $4000 overpaid.

So I refunded the $4000 to them.

Then I went to sort out the invoice and ended up following the steps as above (but i did do some 'fiddling' and may have something going on in the background that i don't know about!)

So yes i have gone to the Unallocated Transactions tab and there was a match for the refund of $4000 which i selected but the three deposit amounts of $20000, $20000 and $17717.17 don't have any available transactions to select against....

Cheers,

Marsha

MYOB Moderator
38,352 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

38,352Posts

5,223Kudos

5,634Solutions

Hi @MarshaKronk 

While your case is similar to the example you have linked it is a little different. The linked example is about if you have received the full payment in one massive payment. Your case is slightly different as you have multiple payments and one of them was effectively the overpayment. 

The way I would handle that situation is:

1. Process one payment for $20,000
  2. Process another payment for $20,000
  3. Process another payment for the $17,737.17  (which is treated as that overpayment).
  4. The above step would have created a customer return, to which you can process to generate that refund transaction.

What this will do is create three deposits transactions in the Bank account in MYOB Essentials to which you can match with the three deposits bank transactions that have come through. It will also create a withdrawal (the refund transaction) to which you can match to the required bank transaction.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Experienced Cover User
17 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

17Posts

1Kudos

1Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Thank you - i deleted the "Take up Payment' entry and i think the Customer Return entry must have still been operating?

Anyway i was then able to allocate the four payments/refund against the invoice Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Marsha

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post