MYOBCommunity
Partner Zone
|
|
Partner Zone

Entering in interest for truck loan

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Catie_Panoss
3 Posts
Cover User
Catie_Panoss
Cover User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Entering in interest for truck loan

Hi there

We got a bank loan and purchased a truck for the business. I have created a 'long term liabilities Account' and called it 'Truck loan'. I have also set up an allocation rule, so that each week when we make a payment, it automatically puts it into this 'truck loan' account. However, it hasn't been recording the monthly interest we have been paying on the bank loan. How do I put that into MYOB?

Cheers

Catie

5 REPLIES 5
MYOB Moderator Liam_M
3,488 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Liam_M
MYOB Moderator

3488Posts

1326Kudos

529Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Re: Entering in interest for truck loan

Hello @Catie_Panoss

I apologise for the delayed response too your forum post.

To record interest go to the cog menu and select 'general journal.' Here click 'create journal.' This will bring up a blank journal. Add two lines to this journal. The first should credit the loan account by the amount of interest being charged. The second should debit an expense account for tracking interest for the same amount. If you don't already have an expense account for interest you can create one.

Kind Regards

Liam
MYOB Client Support
Contributing Cover User Den7
9 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Den7
Contributing Cover User

9Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Liam,

I am also attempting to use this method but when i credit my loan account via Journal entry it actually increases the amount I owe instead of reducing it.

I use a loan account in liabilities

Please help....
MYOB Moderator Liam_M
3,488 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Liam_M
MYOB Moderator

3488Posts

1326Kudos

529Solutions

Hello @Den7

The journal entry is supposed to increase the balance of the loan. To be clear. this isn't the transaction to record you paying off the interest. This is a separate transaction to record the interest that has accrued on the loan.

When you first setup the loan, you're only recording that you owe the principle (not any interest that is added over the period of the loan). AccountRight doesn't automatically add interest to the loan, so you need to record a transaction to do that. This transaction is separate to the transaction for your repayment, which could just be recorded as a spend money transaction allocated to the loan account.

Kind Regards

Liam
MYOB Client Support
Contributing Cover User Den7
9 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Den7
Contributing Cover User

9Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Liam,

That makes sense now....

Can you please clarify the following regarding my chattel mortgage?

I pay $1050 p/m on a lease for a vehicle, currently at month 52 of 59 + residual on the 60th month

My schedule currently shows around $850 principal + $200 interest = $1050

I have about $27000 still owing under "current liabilities"

How can I reduce the 27k by $1050 per month and record the interest component somewhere else?

Is that possible?

Cheers

MYOB Moderator Liam_M
3,488 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Liam_M
MYOB Moderator

3488Posts

1326Kudos

529Solutions

Hello @Den7

You could just record a spend money transaction for the full $1050 and allocate it to the loan account (to reduce the balance) and record a separate transaction to cover the interest as above.

Or, as an alternative, you could record a single spend money transaction for $1050 allocating $850 to the loan account and $200 to an interest expense account. Both would work. Speak to your accountant about which method would work best for your business.

Kind Regards

Liam
MYOB Client Support
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post