MYOBCommunity
Partner Zone
|
|
Partner Zone

Essentials. We use Square as a card payment method and fees are deducted prior to being transferred to our account.

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Carly-h
3 Posts
Cover User
Australia
Carly-h
Cover User

3Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Essentials. We use Square as a card payment method and fees are deducted prior to being transferred to our account.

We use Square as a card payment method and fees are deducted prior to being transferred to our account.

How do I account for this fee? 

They charge varying % depending if tap, chip, swipe or over the phone and also charge/pass on a processing fee from the clients bank? 

One fee is gst free and one has gst applied... so **bleep** confused.

we carry this cost, so client pays our amount and we pay the fee off the top of their payment... thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
10,822 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

10822Posts

1217Kudos

1532Solutions

Re: Essentials. We use Square as a card payment method and fees are deducted prior to being transferred to our account.

Hi @Carly-h

Given there’s such variation in the fees charged you may need to speak with your accountant about how best to record those fees into the file.

In terms of recording it into your file, one way that this could theoretically be done, assuming that the fees were going to a separate account and the final amount that appears in the bank reconciliation is after the fee has been deducted, would be to use a clearing account. This would allow you to receive the payment to the clearing account, record the fee as a separate transaction and the use a journal entry to move the balance of the two into the bank account. That said I recommended speaking with your accountant and getting their thoughts on how they would like it recorded

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Carly-h
3 Posts
Cover User
Australia
Carly-h
Cover User

3Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Essentials. We use Square as a card payment method and fees are deducted prior to being transferred to our account.

Thank you for your help, wow super confusing and im starting to think this is not really for business owners but need to be an accountant to run it properly.

I have had to ask so many questions and all seem only to be answered by an accountant...

regards

frustrated Carly

Highlighted
Valued Cover User AndrewStephen
576 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
AndrewStephen
Valued Cover User

576Posts

365Kudos

12Solutions

Hi @Carly-h

Can I ask one question ? so I can provide you with a possible solution.

Do you get a transfer (settlement) at the end of the day for the total amount received less the fees ?
If not can you please give me an example on how you receive the money from Square.

I will wait for your reply, so I don't confuse you with an example that may not be suitableSmiley Happy

Regards

Andrew

Carly-h
3 Posts
Cover User
Australia
Carly-h
Cover User

3Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Andrew yes we do receive a day settlement. But in my last two months settlements there were two lines of processing fees each and in one of the invoices the percentage amount was 2.2% and the next line Was 2% and on the other invoice it was 1.37% and 1.73%? Why the variation??? Hahaha
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post