Forwarded emails not turning up in the in tray

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

4Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Forwarded emails not turning up in the in tray

Hello.

I see quite a few reports of this issue in the forums and it seems that the only answer is that it is being looked at. This thread was from nearly a year ago

https://community.myob.com/t5/AccountRight-Sales-and-purchases/AUTO-FORWARD-EMAIL-FROM-MAIL-SERVER-T...

and yet it still seems to be an issue.

Being able to forward emails server side is an important feature. It means that we can from an automation point of view

Give our employees a simple address to send the documents to

Set up rules on the server to keep local copies of documents scanned in the field.

Set up rules on the server to keep and forward copies of documents sent by suppliers without the need to manually do anything except log in and assign the tray documents.

Set a dedicated mailbox to hold receipts, invoices and statements only.

Are we close to a resolution?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
2 Posts
User

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Forwarded emails not turning up in the in tray

@Goldcom wrote:

Hello.

I see quite a few reports of this issue in the forums and it seems that the only answer is that it is being looked at. This thread was from nearly a year ago

https://community.myob.com/t5/AccountRight-Sales-and-purchases/AUTO-FORWARD-EMAIL-FROM-MAIL-SERVER-T...

and yet it still seems to be an issue.

Being able to forward emails server side is an important feature. It means that we can from an automation point of view

Give our employees a simple address to send the documents to

Set up rules on the server to keep local copies of documents scanned in the field.

Set up rules on the server to keep and forward copies of documents sent by suppliers without the need to manually do anything except log in and assign the tray documents.

Set a dedicated mailbox to hold receipts, invoices and statements only.

Are we close to a resolution?

Process is wrong.

Highlighted
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

4Kudos

1Solutions

@Harman748 wrote:

Process is wrong.

A discussion about processes. I am certainly up for that.

Would you care to elaborate?

Highlighted
MYOB Product Team
6,310 Posts
MYOB Product Team
Australia
MYOB Product Team

6,310Posts

1,065Kudos

901Solutions

Hi @Goldcom 

We deployed some fixes to the issue where Auto-Forwarded emails from Server-side rules weren't being recognised by our service. This should now be picking up the required fields in the Email Header to continue processing.

That said, if you're still encountering some problems I'd like to look into it. Could you let me know:

• If sending from the Client works as expected.
  • What kind of Mailing Server do you have? (IE: Traditional in-house Exchange setup, or Cloud-based like G-Suite or Exchange365, etc)
  • What method is being used with the forward? IE: Redirect To or Forward To

Feel free to send me a Private Message over the Forum with the answers if you'd prefer not to put them on a Public Forum. You can do this by clicking onto my Avatar and then clicking Send Message on the next page.

Note: We are still encountering some problems with certain Character Encodings, this will affect all emails and not just server-side forwards. We force all character-sets to UTF-8 and sometimes this fails causing an exception that simply falls over and doesn't send back an email. This is something that's being worked on.

Second Note: If there is a reason why the Files can't be processed we do attempt to send back an email with the reason, if you get this it will continue to fail unless the cause is addressed. If you're getting one of these emails let me know and I can take a look into it.

Cheers,
Hayden
MYOB Product Team

Currently Working On:
Supplier Feeds | In Tray (Server)
MYOB Capture App | MYOB Invoices app
Previously Worked On:
In Tray (Front-End) (2019-2020)
MYOB Support (Various roles - 2015-2019)

Highlighted
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

4Kudos

1Solutions

About to head out to work so I will update this later.

Our set up is an inhouse postfix,dovecot and sieve setup. I know the emails are being sent because I can see them being accepted by sendgrid in the postfix logs. If I send directly from outlook the documents turn up in the in tray as expected. The logs are identical.

The forwarding is inline and in testing the pdf documents are separate to the mail body (dont get sent as an .eml file).

I think the issue is that the 'to address' becomes the alias address I have set up and not the myob address when the documents are forwarded.

I am working on an external process that will constantly scan the server mail box and then cleanly mail anything new that turns up to our myob address (something similar to outlook forwarding but automated). I cant really do much internally on the mail server as it is a docker image and the configuration options are not easily accessible.

Highlighted
MYOB Product Team
6,310 Posts
MYOB Product Team
Australia
MYOB Product Team

6,310Posts

1,065Kudos

901Solutions

Thanks for the details!

I agree with you on what the issue seems to be, it looks like the "to" field is still remaining the same and the new email seems to be in a different header.

We are parsing for an "X-Forwarded-To" Header value to continue and I'm not familiar enough with the postfix/dovecot setup to know if it's using the same Header value or something different like "XFORWARD".

To be certain, I've just sent you a Forum PM with my email address. Can you set up a mock rule to auto-forward something to me so I can pop open the Message Headers in the email I receive and look for the relevant Email Headers?

(You can check your Forum PM's by clicking your Avatar in the top-right and then clicking onto the envelope)

If I can nail the header we're missing, I can fix it.

Cheers,
Hayden
MYOB Product Team

Currently Working On:
Previously Worked On:

Highlighted
MYOB Product Team
6,310 Posts
MYOB Product Team
Australia
MYOB Product Team

6,310Posts

1,065Kudos

901Solutions

Just updating this Forum Thread so that others are in the loop.

From checking out the emails sent from the current set up, it looks like (by default) that the that is sent out contains no Email headers indicating that this was an Auto-Forward (Or Redirect) such as the "X-Forwarded-To" & "Redirected-To" Headers.

As In Tray relies on parsing headers to find the relevant In Tray destination, we definitely need Auto-Forwarding set ups to have these types of Headers in their outgoing mail envelopes.

If your set up has a custom mail header that indicates the auto-forward and contains the intended destination (IE: The MYOB In Tray Email), I can add it to our list of fields to parse. Just send me a Forum PM with the Header you're using and I'll add it in as soon as I can.

You can send me a Forum PM by clicking onto my Avatar then clicking Send Message on the next page.

Cheers,
Hayden
MYOB Product Team

Currently Working On:
Previously Worked On:

Highlighted
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

4Kudos

1Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

The easiest option for us was to set up a Gmail account and route the forwarded emails through that account. A few rules on the Gmail side so that only emails coming from our domain are forwarded (so administration emails are not sent to the in tray) and we are good to go.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post