GST paid vs GST collected in Bank Transaction - which to use?

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Contributing Cover User Flaxworx
10 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Contributing Cover User

10Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

GST paid vs GST collected in Bank Transaction - which to use?

Hiya,

similar questions have already been asked but not really answered mine...

So when I sort out my Bank Transactions and I paid my GST to IRD (NZ) - which account do I use? I have the options set up as GST Collected or GST paid (with the two others being adusted) 

So I do my GST return every two months - have to pay GST to IRD and pay it from my business account - which one of those two accounts do I use? 

Maybe I just confused myself...

As far as I understnad it GST paid is what I paid when I purchased items and GST collected is what I charge my customers  - but what is the code when I pay that collected GST (minus my paid GST) finally to IRD?  

Thanks for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
32,609 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

32,609Posts

4,346Kudos

0Solutions

Re: GST paid vs GST collected in Bank Transaction - which to use?

Hi @Flaxworx 

Generally, you would use both the GST collected and GST paid accounts on a payment to the IRD. Check out Help Article: Recording ATO or IRD payments and credits for the recommended process for entering those payments.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User Flaxworx
10 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Contributing Cover User

10Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks!

Yes I did see that help article but I am still unsure.. maybe I am confusing myself.

And the entry field does not look like this to me either ... When I pay the GST that I collected from others (minus the one that I paid..) I can only select one account to consolidate it with either - collected or paid ... so which one is it?  or do I need a complete differnet one that is not automatically set up on the Essentials software? 

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
32,609 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

32,609Posts

4,346Kudos

0Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @Flaxworx 

If you are making payment to the IRD you would typically record a Spend Money transaction where the GST collected is entered as a positive and GST paid is entered as a negative. If its a credit you would typically do a Receive Money transaction with the GST paid is a positive and a GST collected is a negative.

If you are looking it from a banking transaction perspective, you would need to select the dropdown arrow of the transaction (far right), select Allocate before entering the respective accounts, accounts and tax codes.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post