Cover User
ASHCOTT
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Importing Items

I am struggling to find the reason MYOB wont let me import items. I keep getting an error - "Unable to import items. The file format is not valid". I have even tested the following text file (tab deliminated) and am getting the same error.. I have attached my excel file as well. Any help would be much appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
Ultimate Partner jenniek
2,399 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
jenniek
Ultimate Partner

2399Posts

991Kudos

301Solutions

Re: Importing Items

Hi @ASHCOTT

remove the - from the account number and best to remove the $. Think its the account number though.

Regards,
Jennie Kingma
JK Business Systems Ltd, Hamilton, NZ
Email: jennie@jkbusiness.co.nz
ASHCOTT
4 Posts
Cover User
ASHCOTT
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @jenniek thank you for responding however I tried this again (files attached) and still having same error... I am attempting to import the .txt file into essentials.

Partner KaseyS
5 Posts
Partner
Australia
KaseyS
Partner

5Posts

2Kudos

1Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Hi @ASHCOTT

I would recommend downloading the sample file linked in this help article and editing it to meet your requirements - http://help.myob.com/wiki/x/PoIR 

If you continue to get an error while importing it may be worth checking to see if the items you are importing are already in the software, because that can be a common cause for this error. 

Hope this helps,

Kasey 

ASHCOTT
4 Posts
Cover User
ASHCOTT
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you for getting back to me Kasey however I did this again - downloaded the sample file, followed the instructions and imported the text file (attached the text and excel version of file below) and still get error "Unable to import items. The file format is not valid"......

ASHCOTT
4 Posts
Cover User
ASHCOTT
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Kasey it has worked finally, I found I needed to keep all column headers (even the ones I wasn't using). When I deleted the columns I wasn't using it didn't work. Thank you.

Dmlt1983
2 Posts
User
Dmlt1983

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Importing Items - Name: length must be between 1 and 30

Hi,

Im hoping you can help on an old subject that ive now tried to resolve 4 times, each time spending at least an hour trying to get fixed, each time getting the same error message "Name: length must be between 1 and 30". I have reduced all name lengths to under 30 and over 1, but it still wont upload. this is made somewhat worse by the fact i have to manually input the "sell account" colum for each item before it tells me it has an issue! 

Please, please, please can you help?! here is the file (in excel, that i then convert) for ease of data manipulation. 

Ultimate Partner jenniek
2,399 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
jenniek
Ultimate Partner

2399Posts

991Kudos

301Solutions

Hi @Dmlt1983

Is this in Essentials or Accountright? Looks like an Accountright import sheet to me. You need to B under Buy, S under Sell and I under inventory if you want to count stock. You then the need the matching GL account as appropriate in the Income Acc, Expense acc, and Inventory acc. You need a Y in Desc on Sale if you want to use the longer description on the sale invoice. remove the $ sign from amounts.

Regards,
Jennie Kingma
JK Business Systems Ltd, Hamilton, NZ
Email: jennie@jkbusiness.co.nz
Dmlt1983
2 Posts
User
Dmlt1983

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, it’s an essentials account. I essentially just need the items added (we don’t manage an inventory) to produce invoices for service supplied and items bought (ad-hoc) and pass these charges into customers. The items listed are regularly supplied services/items.
I got the template from the how to add items in essentials area of the website and have followed the instructions as prescribed. From what your saying, these instructions are wrong?
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post