Importing contacts into Essentials from MYOB Accounting

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Importing contacts into Essentials from MYOB Accounting

I have Essentials under test and attempting to import contacts - repeated attempts have failed with only 127 of 200 customer, and 200 of 340 of supplier contacts importing. Import instructions followed precisely (multiple times).

Any guidance appreciated - thank you - Lawrence Wilson

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
7,856 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
MYOB Moderator

7,856Posts

631Kudos

1,224Solutions

Re: Importing contacts into Essentials from MYOB Accounting

Hi there @LAPW

I'd like to extend you a warm welcome to the Community Forum. I hope you find it a valuable resource.

First of all I would suggest double checking if all the mandatory fields are filled in correctly for those contacts. If all the necessary information is in place, I would suggest downloading the sample import file from the same help page, open it in Excel then compare the format with your import files.

It would be a good idea to take a small selection of the customer/suppliers and make it a test file, then compare it with the sample file, or use the sample file as a template instead. Once the test group imports successfully, you can apply the same method to the rest of the contacts.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to let us know how you go. 

Cheers,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you Clover - I've compared the sample txt with my exported txt - only one difference apparent - your sample has a Currency heading - my txt does not - nor have I so far found where in my MYOB Accounting v.17 I might identify a currency facility ?

Highlighted
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Clover

I seem to be getting there - a bit further to go yet. In summary, here's the quick version -  I've managed to get both Customer and Supplier data fully loaded - but not quite the way you suggested. It might help others to hear the longer version.

I did not have to resort to using a spreadsheet in the process - it was all done in TXT format using the sample Contacts file as you proposed and pasteing in the Customer/Supplier data from my exported MYOB Accounting file. But a lot of mucking about to get there.

I had firstly tried again to find out how to include a 'Currency' heading into my Export data file - no success, so gave it up. Can you advise on this - is it just that my 2009 version of MYOB Accounting does not feature this cabability. ??

I saved the downloaded sample Contacts.txt file then opened it for it to be enabled for edit. I tried per your suggestion to paste in just a half dozen Customer items - this worked OK thus indicating the Currency header is essential (I think). I then copied another 10 or so, later some 50 or so, additional items and pasted them into the sample template file - NO GO - when I tried to import these extended files into the Contacts slot it would not recognise them, only the first half dozen.

Tried this several times with both Customer, and separately, Supplier add on pastes - none accepted - only those first loaded were accepted. So, I then loaded all Customer items from my Export file via pasteing all of them into your sample file in one hit - it accepted all. Then did likewise with my Supplier items using a fresh sample template file, ie, not trying to paste them onto the Customer txt file.

So, at this  point all Customer and Supplier items are into the Essential system. Looks certain that missing Currency header is the key.

So far so good - but cannot say all is well until fuller testing of Essentials re Reports, etc. Am about to give it all a go - will it all work the way I've done all this or will it collapse - stand by for the next episode.

LAPW

Highlighted
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

My next attempted step at importing is re sales invoices. My MYOB Accounting programme provides for export of these records into a txt file - but I have not found an import facility in Essentials - is there one ?

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
7,856 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
MYOB Moderator

7,856Posts

631Kudos

1,224Solutions

Thank you very much for the update @LAPW

The Currency Code header can be manually created in Excel for your exported file, the other option is use the sample file as a template then copy and paste the contacts/items, which is what you did.

Importing can be very unforgiving if there is a format difference, such as an extra space or unnecessary blank lines in the file. I'm very glad to hear in the end you were able to import all contacts and items after copying and pasting the entire records into the sample file template, and thank you for sharing your experience to benefit other users.

Unfortunately Essentials doesn't have the ability to import sales invoices, Contacts and Items are the only information can be imported into Essentials. I'm afraid you would need to manually enter those sales transactions. Essentials is a web browser based simple accounting package, overall you would notice it doesn't have as many functions and customisations as AccountRight does. You may consider upgrading to the new version of AccountRight if Essentials doesn't feel your requirement.

Please feel free to post again at any time if you have more queries.

Cheers,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you - that means I shall have to continue using my MYOB Accounting v17 until June 30th, then start the new financial year with new 2016F transactional inputs from July 1.

Before final decision on this need to be clearer on just what features I have and use with my v17 which I will not have with Essentials.

For the moment the immediate constraints have been solved.

LAPW

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
3,488 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
MYOB Moderator

3,488Posts

1,333Kudos

529Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hello @LAPW

You can see the features of MYOB Essentials in depth Here:

http://myob.com.au/products/small-business/accounting-software/myob-essentials-1257833690776

The major differences between Accounting 17 and MYOB Essentials, are that MYOB Essentials doesn't have the ability to track inventory, and there are less options for customising forms.

However Essentials and MYOB Accounting are very different programs. I recommend that you use your free trial period to see if Essentials meets your needs. In particular I'd recommend that you check that you're happy with the invoices you can produce, and that all the reports you need are available.

Kind Regards

Liam
MYOB Client Support

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post