178 Posts
Valued Partner
Australia
Valued Partner

178Posts

30Kudos

14Solutions

Job P & L Comparison Report - Issue 1

The following issue relates not only to the Job Profit and Loss comparison Report but the Standard Profit and Loss Report and has been present in the reporting system for New Essentials since implementation of each of the reports in question.

A problem exists in both reports due to the logic utilised in the reporting option ‘Accounts with Zero Balances’.

The following scenario demonstrate the issue.  For the ledger in question I have many accounts within the category ‘Cost of Sales’ (5-XXXX) with balances with in the reporting date. However the total balance of this category is zero as I have an account with a negative balance which zeros the total category.  The additional complexity that I have (which is required to show the logic error) is that there is an account at Level 2 which is the Header for all the accounts (at Level 3) that add to zero.  I have attached the following (Image 1) which shows the report structure in ARL (which of course does not has this issue).

When I run the report in NE with the option ‘Accounts with Zero Balances’ unchecked the result is as per the second screen shot (Image 2) where the entire category 5-XXXX is missing from the report.  When the option is checked of course all accounts are displayed including the ones with balances, see pdf (PDF 3) attachment.  This is happening in every report that uses this logic e.g. the Profit and Loss Report and the Jobs comparison report.  I have only tested this with COGS (5-XXXX) but I would assume that it occurs in every category.

I thought I would post this issue even though development is aware of it.

Trevor
4 REPLIES 4
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
39,439 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

39,439Posts

5,356Kudos

5,809Solutions

Re: Job P & L Comparison Report - Issue 1

Hi @Trevor_H 

Just testing that situation with my AccountRight file and browser, I've been unable to replicate a similar situation:

Attachment.PNG

With my testing, I was able to show those costs of sales amounts including a Total Cost of Sales when the total is 0.00.

As it does appear to be working as intended internally for ourselves, we would be looking more at the environment and data.

If you haven't already done so, clearing your browser's cache and/or trying another in another browser. If you are still encountering that situation would be good to know if you are still getting that situation on another computer (ideally one outside of the current environment).

On the data front, I assume you are running the report on an accrual basis? Does it do the same if you are running on a Cash basis? In addition to that, are the transactions all dated the same day for the Cost of sales amounts? What type of transactions are they i.e. journal entries, spend money...?

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Trevor_H
Valued Partner
178 Posts
Valued Partner
Australia
Valued Partner

178Posts

30Kudos

14Solutions

Hi @Steven_M 

Thanks for looking at this for me I can say that all the potential issues you mentioned do not come into play here.

When looking at your demo report it is not quite the same as the scenario I outlined.

I have copied the following from my original post.

The additional complexity that I have (which is required to show the logic error) is that there is an account at Level 2 which is the Header for all the accounts (at Level 3) that add to zero. 

The issue only presents itself when there is only a Header under the primary account group (in this case COGS) and that header totals Zero.

If you would make the following change to your chart you should get the same issues that I do.

1. Move account 5-2002 so that it sits directly under account 5-1001
  2. Ensure that the subtotal for Header 5-0050 equals Zero.

Thanks

Trevor

Trevor
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
39,439 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

39,439Posts

5,356Kudos

5,809Solutions

Hi @Trevor_H 

Apologies, I missed that critical point. 

After making those accounts level 3, I've been able to replicate that situation and as a result, have passed it across to the required team for further analysis.

In the meantime, the workaround for myself was to update the Report Options to include Accounts with zero balances, which eventually did show those values.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Trevor_H
Valued Partner
178 Posts
Valued Partner
Australia
Valued Partner