Two Factor Authentication 'Trust this device for 30 days'

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Trusted Partner
79 Posts
Trusted Partner
Australia
Trusted Partner

79Posts

74Kudos

3Solutions

Re: Two Factor Authentication 'Trust this device for 30 days'

Hi MYOB

@aksquared @CarrBarnett-BB @Donna24 @JBPearce @brasstacks 

The 2FA authenticator remembering the device for 30 days has not been working for at least 2 months now.

Please address this problem as a matter of urgency or provide the option to remove 2FA authentication while you are attending to fix the problem.

With numerous clients to log into throughout the day, it is becoming extemely time consuming to have to keep entering the code. 

The problem is happening over different devices, ie my desktop, laptop, ipad, different client's desktops so it is most definitely not a caching problem or anything like that.

Myself and all other users, I am sure, will appreciate your urgent reponse and an immediate fix or removal.

Highlighted
Community Manager
5,957 Posts
Community Manager
Australia
Community Manager

5,957Posts

2,201Kudos

477Solutions

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the delay in posting an update on this matter. Our team have been working in the background and have spoken to a number of MYOB clients and partners who have raised this issue. We've worked through various scenarios to understand what is causing the most pain, many thanks to those of you who have been generous with your time and input. 

As a result of those conversations we’ve created this hints & tips article Trust this device for 30 days which will either help you resolve or explain the specific situations that will negate the “Trust this device” setting where appropriate.  

If you think you have new or unique scenarios that are not covered, we’d really like to talk to you to find out more. We’ll continue to look at ways to streamline your critical security needs.

Attn: @CarrBarnett-BB@Lisa_BBP@aksquared@TraceyShenton@Brasstacks@JBPearce@Donna24

Cheers,
Suja Pillai

Social Support and Community Manager

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Trusted Partner
79 Posts
Trusted Partner
Australia
Trusted Partner

79Posts

74Kudos

3Solutions

Hi @Suja_P

@CarrBarnett-BB @aksquared @Donna24 @JBPearce

Thank you for your reply at last and I will definitely be trying the options provided over the next couple of days over different devices and internet browsers to hopefully resolve this issue.  Will keep you posted and report any issues that may still exist.

Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
10 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

10Posts

10Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Suja_P

Thanks for the info. That Hints and Tips article references 5 issues:

• You've logged in using a different browser or computer: No I am using the same browser and computer
  • Trust this device setting has bee overridden by another user: No I am the only user
  • Your browser settings are clearing cookies when you exit the browser: No I have checked the Chrome settings and it is not set to remove cookies when exiting, and it is set to allow all third party cookies. I even added myob.com.au to the 'allow' list to be sure, but it still doesn't work (2FA not saved for 30 days). Interestingly if I click on 'See all cookies and site data', and search for MYOB I find one in particular, under login.myob.com, labelled .Myob.TwoFactorRememberBrowser. Expanding that shows that it was created this morning, and expires in exactly 12 hours. But if the 'remember for 30 days' setting was working correctly, the expiry on this cookie should be in 30 days, not 12 hours? 
  • Your antivirus software is clearing your cookies: I am using Eset Nod32 Antivirus, and according to Eset their software does not detect, nor clean cookies at all. 
  • You're signing out of AccountRight: not relevant to me, I am using MYOB Essentials not AccountRight

So really none of these reasons appears to be relevant to my situation (and probably a lot of other people too).

To be sure that my Antivirus software isnt causing it, I have logged in on another computer, with no 3rd Party AV (only Windows Defender thats built into Windows 10). I have logged into IE, Edge, Chrome and Firefox. So we will see tomorrow morning whether 2FA is remembered - will let you know.

The most interesting thing I found though is that it seems that the cookie responsible for the two factor authentication being remembered (.Myob.TwoFactorRememberBrowser), is getting an expiry for 12 hours not 30 days. I just checked my second machine too (that I have logged into this morning as a separate test), and can see that that particular cookie, in both Firefox and Chrome, is set to expire 12 hours after it was created (ie when I logged in).

So maybe that cookie is the issue? And that is controlled by MYOB - your login page is responsible for that cookie and the expiry, not my computer or browser? Am happy to provide screenshots of all the MYOB cookies and their data, if that will help your web admins troubleshoot this issue further...

Will update you tomorrow anyway...

Highlighted
Trusted Partner
79 Posts
Trusted Partner
Australia
Trusted Partner

79Posts

74Kudos

3Solutions

Hi @Suja_P

@aksquared@CarrBarnett-BB@Donna24@JBPearce

Update on 2FA is that it is not working.

While I am not quite as versed in computer settings, browsers, cookies, caches, etc, as @aksquared I understand a little and can follow instructions however, I didn't think I needed an IT degree to operate an accounting program such as MYOB.

I have followed the instructions you provided across multiple devices with multiple browsers including Internet Explorer, which doesn't work properly anyway, with no luck.

My suggestion would be to review what changes were made, if any, in the MYOB program background over the last 3 months as it used to work quite well back then.

I don't understand how you can enforce this as a mandatory requirement when it doesn't work to our expectations and is very time consuming.

MYOB please attend to this matter as an urgent priority!

Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
10 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

10Posts

10Kudos

0Solutions

Hi all @Suja_P@Lisa_BBP@CarrBarnett-BB@Donna24@JBPearce

FYi I'm a computer tech, so my day job is troubleshooting (windows) computer issues ;-) 

Anyway the results of my test from yesterday, where I logged into Edge, IE, Chrome and Firefox, on a separate PC that I have never logged into MYOB with before, and that has no 3rd party Antivirus:

All browsers required the 2FA code again this morning. 

So the troubleshooting page doesn't really address this issue - all the relevant suggestions have been tested and failed.

Personally I think it is the 2FA cookie itself - when you tick the box during the 2FA code requst to 'Trust this device for 30 days' the cookie is obviously not set correctly. It it set to expire in 12 hours instead of 30 days.

If I dont tick 'trust this device for 30 days' that cookie is not created at all, so it is obviously linked to that tick box and seems to me to be the issue.

So it might be time for the MYOB web developers to look closely at this cookie..?

Highlighted
Community Manager
5,957 Posts
Community Manager
Australia
Community Manager

5,957Posts

2,201Kudos

477Solutions

Hi @aksquared and @Lisa_BBP,

Thank you both for updating us with your experiences. 

@aksquared - A special thank you for the detailed account of your findings. I've passed it on to our team. Will post back as soon as I hear back from them.

Thank you all for your contributions on the matter.

Cheers,
Suja Pillai

Did my answer help?

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

7Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Trust this device for 30 days is not working for me either and its driving me nuts!! I have followed the trouble shooting to no avail.

Yesterday I was the only one online and this morning I still had to get the authentication code AGAIN. I chose to authenticate by email. This is the session log from yesterday - I don't know what the system logins are:

Log.PNG

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
12,790 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

12,790Posts

1,519Kudos

1,805Solutions

HI  @JOberg

Sorry to hear the troubleshooting in the help article mentioned by @Suja_P didn’t work for you. Our team are still looking at other potential causes for this issue and their associated resolution. I have passed your comments onto our team so that they are aware of them.

You may want to check with your IT professional to see if there are any other programs on your computer that are clearing the cache on your internet browser, either intentionally or otherwise

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Highlighted
Community Manager
5,957 Posts
Community Manager
Australia
Community Manager

5,957Posts

2,201Kudos

477Solutions

Hi all,

Thank you each of you for the additional information and feedback regarding your experiences. With your help and from our conversations with some of you, our team have been able to consistently replicate the issue and are now working on identifying a permanent fix.

Thank you once again for your patience with this. We will keep you posted.

Attn: @aksquared@JOberg@Lisa_BBP

Cheers,
Suja Pillai

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post