Share your ideas for improving MYOB Business. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Setup: Ability to use Jobs

Partner

5Posts

259Kudos

0Solutions

5 Posts
Partner
Australia

Several of our clients have multiple rental properties and we need to dissect the various properties.  Essentials would be an ideal tool for this, but we don't seem to be able to segregate transactions - not worth the additional expense to use Account Right level of product - jobs would be ideal

"Essentials - ability to use Jobs"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: September 2021

Hi Everyone

Jobs has been introduced to the MYOB Essentials platform.

Note: This change is available for the new MYOB Essentials platform. Existing (original) MYOB Essentials platform users will be migrated across to the new platform in due course based on the complexity of their MYOB Essentials product level. At the time of posting, migrations are already underway.

137 Comments
CTF
Experienced Cover User
55 Posts
Experienced Cover User

They are not giving much away as to when they intend adding job codes to Essentials. It was just stupid not to do so when writing the program. I was told to move to AccountRight. They need to make this clear that there are NO job codes when flogging this package. Having to purchase an add on is ridiculous and costly as u buy an invoicing package as a whole that also does job costing whereas all you really want is the job costing. We are moving to Zerox

CloudMindAcc
Ultimate Partner
1,949 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hi @GavinJK 

I would recommend using Calxa $39.00 per month for basic plan compatiable with MYOB Essentials.    You can download a trial version.   Easy to use and great support provided by the Calxa team.  

AllAboutPlannin
2 Posts
User

I absolutely agree - its a pretty standard thing for consultancies that work on a per project or site basis to need to put a project or site description above the invoice details/ description.

An easy and possibly universal way of achieving this would be to allow for another freeform text box (like the existing notes box but without a title), immediately above the main invoice description table.

autobook
Experienced Cover User
27 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I have a client who is ready to switch to Essentials but won't do so until there is the ability to track jobs.  Accountright is too expensive for his needs and Essentials would be perfect.  I have been making this same request to MYOB reps at bookkeeper events and ATO seminars for years, but it appears that MYOB are not interested in this.

a-m
1 Post
User

I agree, we are in the building industry and it is always necessary to add a location to invoices. A text box above the item description would be a great option.

troberts
Partner
3 Posts
Partner

What is the schedule for implementing Job/Project functionality in MYOB Essentials??

It appears to have been hanging around for a while. 

Is there an alternative??

Cortex
Contributing Cover User
10 Posts
Contributing Cover User

As a consultant I have hundreds of bills (travel expenses) that need to be invoiced back to different clients. It would make life so much easier if I could assign a unique value / code / job number / client name / or something similar to any or all bills. This would make my invoicing back to client much simpler.

WestReo
1 Post
User

Hello,

I can't seem to find the feature that i could really use.

I quote a job in MYOB and when the job is done i can convert that quote to an invoice. This is great.

Can i allocate bills (material and labour) against the jobs invoice so i can track profit/loss?

I have looked but I cant seem to find what i require. At the moment im suck using EXCEL to track this information which seems crazy as all the information is in MYOB already.

Suja_P
5,976 Posts
Former Staff

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your comments and votes on this popular idea. We are actively exploring how to bring this feature into Essentials and would love some feedback from you on the following questions.

1. What problem are you solving with this feature?
  2. What are the main benefits to this feature?
  3. Do you think Jobs is a universally understood name or is there a better term we could be using?
  4. What industry are you in?

Regards,
Suja Pillai
Social Support and Community Manager
MYOB Australia Pty Ltd

MehmetOCG
Contributing Cover User
18 Posts
Contributing Cover User

1. What problem are you solving with this feature?

Currently MYOB essentials does not allow you to track expenses against a particular "Job" which inhibits users to calculate the cost of a particular job.

1. What are the main benefits to this feature?

Allowing reporting on jobs will assist in understanding how your business is running at the job level rather than just an overall level

1. Do you think Jobs is a universally understood name or is there a better term we could be using?

"Jobs" might not be a universal name for this but see it as associating expenses to a particular category/job. I receive 100 expenses a day. 40 needs to be assigned to one job and the otehr 60 to another job. At the end of those jobs I will know the exact cost of the job which I can then compare to invoices sent for that job and finally will have a report to work out what profit or loss was made on that particular job.

1. What industry are you in?

I am in the construction industry and when I talk about jobs I'm referring to actual construction jobs/addresses I am completing.  I do have a crude workaround that I fo use. I make up my own job ids and input these as a prefix to the invoice numbers for the expeses.  Then I can use the search function to search for the job id and it wil give me a list of all expenses for that id.  If I scroll to the bottom of the list I will have the complete cost of that job.  Same with invoices.  Then I use a pen and paper to work out if that job was profitable and use this information when quoting/estimating future jobs.

Furth notes: Ideally you would want the "Job" selection to be a drop down box selection and unique. Older jobs should be able to be removed from the list to minimise list.

Hope that help.