Share your ideas for improving MYOB Business. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Setup: Calculator Activated by Pressing Numeric Operators (+, -, *, /) Within Field

5Posts

76Kudos

0Solutions

5 Posts
Cover User

Along time ago, in a galaxy far, far away I used one of the original MYOB desktop software packages & it had the most incredibly useful function I had ever seen in an accounting package...being the ability to perform calculations within any field simlpy by hitting one of the numeric operator buttons (i.e. +,-,*,/) which would then perform this calulcation without the need to take your hands off the keyboard, rummage around in your drawer for your calculator, perform the function, then enter the result in the aformenetioned field.

I am unsure if this function still exists in the current desktop versions, I seem to remember it disappeared at one stage...I hope I've explained what I'm referring to clearly here? This was one truly an incredibly useful function & one I would hapily see return.

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: September 2015

Thank you for your suggestion @TransferFreight

This function does exist in the latest AccountRight products, which is indeed very useful. Essentials Accounting being a simply accounting product it doesn't have as many customisations and advanced features as AccountRight does, I can see having this calculator option would be a great addition.

I would encourage any interested users to cast your vote here, and comment too if required. 

20 Comments
CloverQ
9,085 Posts
Former Staff

Thank you for your suggestion @TransferFreight

This function does exist in the latest AccountRight products, which is indeed very useful. Essentials Accounting being a simply accounting product it doesn't have as many customisations and advanced features as AccountRight does, I can see having this calculator option would be a great addition.

I would encourage any interested users to cast your vote here, and comment too if required. 

lousullivan
Experienced User
32 Posts
Experienced User

I too miss this feature in essentials. I use it all the time. I wasn't aware that it would not be in essentials when we moved over. Please add it to essentials. 

Susan_DH
Contributing Cover User
11 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Me too, I use the Account Right for some clients and have just started using Essentials for some of the smaller business clients and use the calculator function all the time.

It is fustrating to find it is not a function in Essentials.

I would like to add to that - bring in more than two decimal places.

Thanks

Susan

TheBob
1 Post
Cover User

Ideally simple calculations can be done within the data entry fields.

For instance inputting

+ key

enter key or tab key

would result in 7.37 being entered in that field.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @TheBob

Thank you for your idea in regards to MYOB Essentials

I've merged your idea with this one already included in the MYOB Essentials Idea Exchange.

Sue123
2 Posts
User

It will be great (and able to compete with Xero) if you have:

1) Built in Calculator for MYOB

Eg when we type 1+2 it adds to 3 , just like in MYOB Accounts Right)

2) When we pay bills, the amount due for supplier is blank, aren't this really inconvenient??

I am still thinking should I switch to Xero because of this!

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @Sue123

Thank you for your feedback in regards to MYOB Essentials

I've just merged your idea in regards to the introduction of a calcutor onto this idea already included on the MYOB Essentials Idea Exchange.

In terms of Amount Due for Supplier showing blank when paying a bill. I've tested in my MYOB Essentials and the Amount Due is showing correctly when going to Purchases>>Pay Bills. If you are having a different experience I would encourage you to post it as an enquiry on the MYOB Essentails board of the MYOB Community Forum directly so we can investigate further for you.

LiamSmith
Experienced Partner
72 Posts
Experienced Partner

Be able to be in a numeric field and perform calculations eg 1+2 (tab/enter) and 3 appears

Specifically on Spend/Receive money Sales/Bills invoices

Kaine007
1 Post
Cover User

1+

chrisc
Partner
3 Posts
Partner

The in built calculator when using a numeric field does not work the same as previous MYOB versions.

The AccountRight versions do not show the key strikes that have been done as you do the calcuations, therefore you cannot tell if or where you have made a typo.

Its very annoying.

In MYOB V19 and previous, you could always see what numbers and calculations you were doing in a little window that opened as you go.  Now not, so if you make a typo (and most of us type so fast we know we have done one but just need see it to fix it) we can't and have to start all over again!!

Now I realise that we can use an external calculator and type in the exact number we need, but isn't the idea of an upgrade to keep things getting better, or at least leave things that work the same?

This is a downgrade with this feature and affects my data entries for my clients' files quite a lot.

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this 'idea', but could someone please read it and look into it and let me know.  It is very easy to test out.

Thanks, Christine Chester

0412 390 797