37 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

37Posts

7Kudos

3Solutions

Payslip notes appear in journal description

This is truely bizarre in the new upgrade.

As in the old Essentials, when doing payroll there is a box to put a note to appear on someone's pay slip.  You might enter a note to refer to leave taken that period etc.

However this note then appears in the description line when you review the transaction in the ledger, replacing the person's name.

Therefore when you are looking at say the wages and salaries expense account, you can no longer see the staff member being paid, only a copy of what was in the notes field.

Bizarre and useless information in this context.

Will MYOB be fixing this???!

7 REPLIES 7
Mud
Experienced Cover User
27 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

27Posts

17Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Payslip notes appear in journal description

Hi Sandy37,

I'm having the same issue and have been communicating with the Moderator about this for several days now.  If I'm understanding his advice correctly, information for the Description field...which is supposed to be for the purpose of identifying the payee...is now transferred from the Message Box.  This means that if your message to an employee is, for example, "Merry Xmas"  then in effect, the payment is being recorded as a payment made to "Merry Xmas". 

If there is no message in the message box, then the information transferred to Description will be from the employee address field.  In which case you would need to memorise all your employee's addresses in order to efficiently do your book keping....and your payee will now be recorded as, for example, 101 Something St., Somewhere Town. 

Below are the two responses I've received to date explaining this.

"The Description for payroll transactions is pulled from the Pay slip message. If that is empty, it will pull the Payee information which is the address of the employee."

"You also messaged me another question relating to the payslip message that is set on the Pay Employee window. This particular field is used as the description for that transaction and would be how it would be referenced in reports and other aspects of the MYOB Essentials business."

So far, it appears that we are meant to accept this as a logical and feasible system?

Kind regards,

Mud

Sandy37
Trusted Cover User
37 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

37Posts

7Kudos

3Solutions

Thank you for sharing the communication you had with MYOB on the same issue.

Interestingly I get the employee name in the description (when the pay slip notes are blank) rather than their address.  Then on the ones with something in the description that pops up instead.  Useless.

I agree, an illogical and inexplicable situation. 

Mud
Experienced Cover User
27 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

27Posts

17Kudos

0Solutions

For me, employee addresses rather than names are occuring in Reports - Bank Transactions.  Not so much under the Find Transactions Tab.  I've not really checked anywhere else.

Cheers,

Mud

Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
42,844 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

42,844Posts

5,777Kudos

6,395Solutions

Hi Everyone

Just thought I would come in to indicate how the pay slip message field works on the Newer MYOB Essentials platform.

Transactions in MYOB Essentials do have a description. This is typically "the type of transaction followed by the card that is being impacted". For example, a sale to customer ABC would be "Sale: ABC". In other transactions you can set the description of the transaction on the screen i.e. Banking transactions would have a Description of transaction on-screen which users can directly impact.

In terms of payroll transactions, the description of that transaction comes from the pay slip message. By default, the pay slip message would populate from the employee's standard pay - Payroll>>Employees>>Choose the employee>>Select Payroll details>>Standard pay>>Pay slip message. Users can update that pay slip message on a per transaction if required, however, that will become the description of how that transaction is denoted in the MYOB Essentials for reference.

Should the Pay slip message field remain blank on a payroll transaction/the Standard pay of the employee is blank then the description will revert back to the payee records of that transaction which would be the employee's address.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Mud
Experienced Cover User
27 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

27Posts

17Kudos

0Solutions

Sorry to hijack your post Sandy37, but to ask Steven for clarification, I'm not sure I understand the difference between what you've just explained and what I've written above, which includes quotes from your own explanations to me.

Understanding that the Payroll Transaction Description is pulled from the Pay Slip message, therefore whatever is written in the Pay Slip message box will become the Description in Transactions....is that correct?  Therefore if I need to include a message to my employees, in the message box, that message will become the Description in transactions...correct or mistaken?

If I am understanding correctly...that means if I write, for example, "Public holiday pay included" in the Pay Slip message box, then this message will become the Description in Transactions?  I really wish I could just get a simple confirmation of whether or not this is the case.

With thanks

Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
42,844 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

42,844Posts

5,777Kudos

6,395Solutions

Hi @Mud 

The description of payroll transactions would be what is included in that payslip message field. So yes if you did put in "Public holiday pay included" that would be the description of that payroll transaction.

@Steven_M wrote:

...Users can update that pay slip message on a per transaction if required, however, that will become the description of how that transaction is denoted in the MYOB Essentials for reference...

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Sandy37
Trusted Cover User
37 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

37Posts

7Kudos

3Solutions

I understand how this field is populated but I don't understand WHY?

I include a snapshot from your MYOB Help notes that show that the Pay Slip Message box is intended for the sort of notes I am including.

WHY then would the system be set up to fill/replace the transaction description with this information - replacing what is actually relevant ie the employee's name?!

This means I can never search properly or effectively for a transaction.

(I only use MYOB Essentials for payroll so I cannot comment on how this impacts other areas - although I can only imagine..... )

payslip message.PNG

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post