Partner Zone

MYOB ESSENTIALS GST SETTINGS NOT SHOWING UNDER CO NAME

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
johnlink
Partner
14 Posts
Partner
Australia
Partner

14Posts

0Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

MYOB ESSENTIALS GST SETTINGS NOT SHOWING UNDER CO NAME

Hi All

Can anyone tell me why the new update of Essentials seems to be missing the GST settings menu item (under Co Name on RHS of screen) when setting up a new client?

I have already set up the Co name & abn etc under Business Details but no sign of the GST settings screen??

14 REPLIES 14
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: MYOB ESSENTIALS GST SETTINGS NOT SHOWING UNDER CO NAME

Hi @johnlink 

New MYOB Essentials business will not have the GST Settings option listed in the Business Name Menu with MYOB Essentials. Rather it works similar to AccountRight where the company file is set up for GST registered and not registered, cash and accrual all within the same business. As such, it would be up to the user to select the appropriate tax code for their transactions and select the desired reporting basis when reporting.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

johnlink
Partner
14 Posts
Partner
Australia
Partner

14Posts

0Kudos

1Solutions

Hi @Steven_M 

Thanks for reply.  OK I have just set up a new TEST Co file and nowhere in the setup steps do I see any selections for "GST registered and not registered, cash and accrual all within the same business".

Also the FEED/HELP panel on the left of screen makes no mention of any such settings.

I have worked for years with MYOB products and never had such a cryptic interface.  Seems to be designed for non accounts literate users and does so by hiding necessary technical controls.

Also the help files are all written for the "old" version so no help there - help just says go to the menu under Co Name and you will see GST settings there - when are the help files getting updated?

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @johnlink 

In terms of GST settings, the version of MYOB Essentials you are using doesn't have a GST settings page. With it being more like AccountRight where it uses a hybrid of the two methods and it's up to the user to select the appropriate reporting frequency when reporting.

In-product help for your MYOB Essentials is available by selecting the Question Mark on screen (top right - next to the Business Name). This will give you a pull out with help article information on the current page you are on. Should you be needing to directly search those Help Articles then do use the MYOB Essentials Help Article Search tool.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

johnlink
Partner
14 Posts
Partner
Australia
Partner

14Posts

0Kudos

1Solutions

Thanks @Steven_M I guess the answer to my question could best be summed up as;

1. There are no "GST settings" such as cash/accrual or monthly/quarterly in the new Essentials so dont even bother to try and find them

2.  Transactions are simply entered normally using dates and gst codes and the reporting will work out the required bas outputs by applying the appropriate filters on reports when required.

3.  As the new Essentials incorporates a registered SBR link to ATO, bas lodgements can be achieved by requesting such lodgements from the ATO portal when due and Essentials will "populate" the required fields from your entered data in Essentials based on your ATO registration specifics (gst basis & frequency on file with ATO).

In regard to the help files for the new Essentials I understand that these are still a work in progress and users of Essentials are gradually being moved over to the new version with a completion date in the next 2 - 3 months.  Interestingly the HELP button in Essentials for "lodge activity statements online" takes you to the help section for MYOB ACCOUNT RIGHT.  I guess the caption should read "also applies to MYOB ESSENTIAL USERS" to avoid confusion?

Rgds

johnlink

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @johnlink 

The summary of points is spot on.

In terms of the lodge online functionality, you are correct it will have references to AccountRight within that Portal. What actually happens is that new MYOB Essentials BAS lodgement piggybacks of the AccountRight Lodgement Portal and thus there are references to that when accessing from new MYOB Essentials. This is something that has been reported and is something that is actively being looked into for the future.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

DuncanS
Ultimate Partner
1,924 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,924Posts

886Kudos

168Solutions

@johnlink @Steven_M 

I use ATO Online Services to lodge a IAS/BAS.

One advantage of using ATO Online is the ability to printout the ATO ICA which I give to the Business Owner.

My checks and balances in lodging a IAS/BAS have not really changed over the past 20 years.

Simpler BAS has simplified the number of GST Codes ie GST and no GST.

Reporting of Capital Acquisitions on a BAS has not been required for some years.

Duncan

Duncan Smith
Business Advice + Tax
Helping business owners build a better business since 1998
E duncan@businessadvicetax.com.au T 02 9904 3672 7 days
Nag
Experienced Partner
26 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

26Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

So if I have a client who is not registered for GST how do I remove any reference to GST without having to go through the chart of accounts and removing the code for every account?

In the old version of essentials I could just answer no to the question are you GST registered.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @Nag 

As indicated on this thread, the newer MYOB Essentials platform will use a hybrid mode, similar to AccountRight, where there is no preference to be GST registered or not.

The system will run off a GST registered and not process. It is up to the user you would need to select the appropriate tax code for their transactions. 

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Nag
Experienced Partner
26 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

26Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

Thankyou for your response Steven. I thought that was what I was reading. Rather than tick one box that says not registered for GST I now have to edit every account in the chart of accounts to remove the GST code. How is that an enhancement? Is it possible to delete the chart of accounts entirely and set up my own chart as this would be less time consuming.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post