NZ Jury Service - creating pay deduction item for difference

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
KayW
Contributing Cover User
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Contributing Cover User

8Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

NZ Jury Service - creating pay deduction item for difference

Hi, our employee was recently paid for the first week of NZ jury service.  To make up the difference of what she was paid by MoJ and what she usually earns per day, I read that we create a new deduction pay item (Jury Service Makeup Pay). I am stuck after that though... Do we then add 1.00 to amount per pay (??) or do we add the total paid for one day by the MoJ? Is it AFTER TAX we choose?   I have found it hard to get through on the MYOB support line in the past so if anyone in the forum knows the answer, I will be most grateful. Thanks, Kay 

1 REPLY 1
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
42,303 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

42,303Posts

5,727Kudos

6,316Solutions

Re: NZ Jury Service - creating pay deduction item for difference

Hi @KayW 

I think you may have been reading a help article relating to Jury Duty in Australia - potentially Help Article: Jury Duty.

Normally with New Zealand, you are paid to be on jury duty. The employer can pay the difference between what was paid and what should have been paid to the employee. If you are going down that route you would want to have an earnings pay item set up to pay the employee the difference. By setting it up as an earning pay item you are paying them the difference which is more likely to reflect what is going on with the situation i.e. the employer is making up the difference. Using this method you wouldn't include the amount of that day's wages in the Normal pay item (as you are paying them for the day through the new earning).

I guess you could do it through a deduction but you would be deducting the amount that was already paid to the employee likely as a after tax deduction.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post